What do clear, watery, saliva looking droppings mean? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Plug in your imagination. Think like a chicken. What could you put the Nutri-drench on that a chicken would gobble right up. Maybe..... a bite of bread? As for the sugar water, dip her beak in it and when she tastes it and discovers it's sweet, she'll drink it.

You should have an oral syringe in your chicken first aid kit in case you need to give fluids to a chicken. Most pharmacies give them away free if you ask. This is how you do it.View attachment 2869811
Thanks - yep she readily gobbles down bread, but is not going for the Steel Cut Oats she normally enjoys.

I am going to try the scrambled eggs now and see if she eats that.

I brought Miss Sophia into my office here at the barn I figured she is likely chilly, missing something many feathers - she seems brighter now that it's warm.

The scrambled eggs seem to be good with her, I shared my lunch with Miss Sophia, toast and scrambled eggs. She is still pecking away at them.

Then she pooped on my office floor, oi boy! This is what she is pooping out today. The yellow chunk of scrambled egg is from her flicking it onto the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_20211018_150257.jpg
    IMG_20211018_150257.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 2
Update:

Guess what? This morning I saw the clear, saliva-like droppings that I’ve been telling you guys about on this thread!!! I ran for my phone and took some pics. The reflection may give it a whitish appearance in the pics, but they are totally clear.

Have any of you seen droppings like this before?

Attachments

• A12CB3BB-AC45-444D-9798-24AAE7FA2C32.jpeg
    A12CB3BB-AC45-444D-9798-24AAE7FA2C32.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 54AE6E14-31EE-4660-A838-05D9128352F0.jpeg
    54AE6E14-31EE-4660-A838-05D9128352F0.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 8A811CF7-0A35-4BA4-B6E3-3DE8C3CBAA1D.jpeg
    8A811CF7-0A35-4BA4-B6E3-3DE8C3CBAA1D.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 38752C17-7CC6-46AE-AA80-24B49992F03A.jpeg
    38752C17-7CC6-46AE-AA80-24B49992F03A.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 24B6DAEE-4AB8-40EA-B4C4-42C2FFBDE764.jpeg
    24B6DAEE-4AB8-40EA-B4C4-42C2FFBDE764.jpeg
    657.5 KB · Views: 2
I too have a hen (year and half old) going through a molt who has clear watery stools also. She started with loose green stools, with the odd watery milky stools but noted today clear watery stools.

She is not eating much, and generally doesn't look/act properly, she seems miserable, and looks like crap missing all her feathers.

She was fine till she started molting, she lost so many feathers.... I am going to
check with my Vet tomorrow but thought someone might have some insight...

BYC is an awesome forum for chicken insight, help and information. I’ve really appreciated the help I’ve been given and the new chicken friends I’ve made so far. I’m new to the forum myself and I see that you are too...Welcome! :)

As I research the various threads on BYC for my own personal learning, I’ve noticed that sometimes threads can take a different direction from the original topic written by the OP (Original Poster). It’s important to stay on topic because, in all honestly, that is what the thread is about. Staying on topic keeps each thread more organized. It helps others looking up that particular topic as well.

Anyone is welcome to comment or offer advice on another person’s thread...that is what this forum is all about! However, when looking for advice or insight on your own chicken situation, it’s more appropriate to start your own thread with its own title so the awesome chicken peeps here on BYC can address your particular questions and evaluate your situation separately. Another good idea is to include a link when asking for insight while on another person’s thread. That way, readers can easily go to your thread and see what’s going on with your particular situation. Again, it just helps to keep each thread more organized.

I hope this makes sense! :) 👍🏼

Last edited:
I just ran across this article on watery chicken poop. https://backyardchickenchatter.com/should-i-be-concerned-about-watery-chicken-poop/ It's a good read.

There's an outside chance, and I may have already mentioned it, that your hen could have kidney issues. But since she seems to be behaving normally, I wouldn't worry too much.

Before she died a couple years ago at age eight, I had a hen that always pooped clear watery poop. She did it from the day I brought her home from the feed store at a day old and almost never pooped solid poop from that day forward. Until she died, she had never been sick a single day in all of her eight years. So, it's possible your hen has a watery "style" of poop that is just her own peculiar quirk.

BYC is an awesome forum for chicken insight, help and information. I’ve really appreciated the help I’ve been given and the new chicken friends I’ve made so far. I’m new to the forum myself and I see that you are too...Welcome! :)

As I research the various threads on BYC for my own personal learning, I’ve noticed that sometimes threads can take a different direction from the original topic written by the OP (Original Poster). It’s important to stay on topic because, in all honestly, that is what the thread is about. Staying on topic keeps each thread more organized. It helps others looking up that particular topic as well.

Anyone is welcome to comment or offer advice on another person’s thread...that is what this forum is all about! However, when looking for advice or insight on your own chicken situation, it’s more appropriate to start your own thread with its own title so the awesome chicken peeps here on BYC can address your particular questions and evaluate your situation separately. Another good idea is to include a link when asking for insight while on another person’s thread. That way, readers can easily go to your thread and see what’s going on with your particular situation. Again, it just helps to keep each thread more organized.

Have to disagree, your chickens watery runny poop is just like mine, we can both help each other and get answers to our problems without having multiple discussions about the same problems which is inefficient.

Now, hope that makes sense.

Here is what I have found out about my liquid poop, stress can cause this, are u experiencing weather changes? Or other changes? I have been told some chickens are very sensitive to these things esp growing chickens or in my case molting.

As someone else here suggested to me, try feeding scrambled eggs and sweetened water, this perked my hen up and I also brought her into a warm quiet environment were she wasn't being bullied. I plan on taking a stool sample to the Vet, this will be a definitive for parasites.

I always say for any livestock keep them warm and hydrated.

I just ran across this article on watery chicken poop. https://backyardchickenchatter.com/should-i-be-concerned-about-watery-chicken-poop/ It's a good read.

There's an outside chance, and I may have already mentioned it, that your hen could have kidney issues. But since she seems to be behaving normally, I wouldn't worry too much.

Before she died a couple years ago at age eight, I had a hen that always pooped clear watery poop. She did it from the day I brought her home from the feed store at a day old and almost never pooped solid poop from that day forward. Until she died, she had never been sick a single day in all of her eight years. So, it's possible your hen has a watery "style" of poop that is just her own peculiar quirk.
Awesome article, I saw it last night

@KauaiChickenMama, maybe stress is ur issue as the article points out, have u tried putting your wee ones in a quiet area alone? I would also do a fecal test to be safe....

Just heard back from my Vet, who checked for Coccidiosis and parasites - none found - it has been suggested that stress is the cause.

My chickie is doing better since I started separating her, giving her scrambled eggs to eat, and sweetened water (as suggested above), I also purchased some Poly-Vi-Sol infant vitamins to give to her.

So the take away is that one can't always know what is truly causing an issue and sometimes you just have to treat the symptoms: keep warm, keep hydrated, keep nutrition up, keep stress free. Give vitamin supplement. And hope for the best. Hopefully this helps with your wee ones. You know this is what I told the Emerg Veterinarian about my cat in the Summer after she charged me $1300 for some not needed lab work and xrays! sheesh! She ended up giving my cat fluids and anti-nausea meds in the end..... sometimes its the simple things that make a world of difference to one's pets.

Back
Top Bottom