What do coturnix like to eat?

Mine like lettuce
smile.png

I grew several kinds of millets this year, Italian (the kind sold in pet stores as spray millet), Foxtail, and Japanese Barnyard millet. Mine seem to love those, I've been pulling the entire plant up by the roots and hanging it upside down in the enclosure so that the seed heads are at quail level, and they have a good time picking at the seeds.

raw apple finely chopped. any greens:beet greens,chicory, romaine lettuce,carrot tops,dandelion,parsley,basically any green i have offered them.
Summer squash cut in half so they can get to the middle part, Green Zebra variety of Tomatoes cut in half so they can get to the insides..Man they LOOOOOVE
love.gif
this tomato variety!Can't get them to eat red ones ,just green or yellow.
Amaranth seed, carrots ,winter type squashes and sweet potato that has been cooked to mushy texture.
Haven't tried many fruits with them yet,just the apple which they like alot.
Oatmeal ( not the quick oats )
scrambled eggs. I know people say to only give them the yolk( ??) but i scramble up the whole thing...always did that for our parrots budgies and finches as well when we had them, never any problems with it and they're NUTS about it....
Plan to get around to offering them citrus fruits too one of these days.
Mealworms of course.
NO Stinkbugs...hahahaha...a stinkbug got in 1 of the pens and my bravest girl went after it as soon as she spotted it...she'll NEVER do THAT again i bet! She sooooooo did not like the taste! it was increrdibly FUNNY..
gig.gif
lau.gif
i think she wanted to be able to SPIT!
tongue.gif

i think that's about it that i've tried

flax seed. Yes, the expensive stuff you put in finch feeders! Mine love it but I don't give much.

Quote:
does feeding them ...extras/ goodies .. keep them from growing as much or ?..
they need to have a little guy in the smilies selection up top here that is scratching his/her head in confusion...lol...i seem to need that alot since i'm new to quail.

Back
Top Bottom