What do doves eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I was observing the dove nest that a dove made in my backyard, only to find the mother dead seemed to die from a hawk attack and found 2 dove eggs, both have a heartbeat and I have raised baby chicks before. I have an incubator they are in and both seem good condition. I dont have anything to feed them, will wild bird seed do?

NOTE: I do NOT indent to keep these doves as pets, as soon as they can fly they are out of the nest. Literally.

Call the local pet stores. One should have a bird person, that can tell you how to handle the situation, including brooding temps, and feeding, and teaching them to get ready for release.

You have to either put them back and let nature run it's course or surrender them to a actual rehaber.

Besides, are you concerned about them? You were killing wild birds not long ago because they were eating chicken feed.

Those birds will be pets for the rest of their life if you incorrectly raise them. That includes raising them with zero human contact which is hard to do with baby birds.

Those birds will be pets for the rest of their life if you incorrectly raise them. That includes raising them with zero human contact which is hard to do with baby birds.
? I thought you could just release birds and they will live life on their own and start a family like normal. I thought this because I dont think birds teach their chicks how to hunt I may be wrong tho

You have to either put them back and let nature run it's course or surrender them to a actual rehaber.

Besides, are you concerned about them? You were killing wild birds not long ago because they were eating chicken feed.
The mother was dead, dead with its head and wing torn off and mostly eaten. I actually had 3 dove eggs but I accidentally was clumsy with 1 and let it fall. I still feel like crap, just as with the doves that were eating my feed but knowing that we will all die someday makes me feel not nearly as bad that those doves died.

And yes I am concerned about them. I dont just wanna leave them there and let them die. They have not even hatched yet for gods sake.

? I thought you could just release birds and they will live life on their own and start a family like normal. I thought this because I dont think birds teach their chicks how to hunt I may be wrong tho

Just looked it up and they are protected under the federal migratory bird act. Since you don't have the correct permits (and training to get said permits) it is a felony to have those eggs.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-...luding killing,U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Last edited:
Just looked it up and they are protected under the federal migratory bird act. Since you don't have the correct permits (and training to get said permits) it is a felony to have those eggs.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php#:~:text=The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the take (including killing,U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Even the fact that im trying to save the 2 birds? There are no rehabers or animal sancuaries around me, for real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom