WHAT DO FEED ROOSTERS TO FATTEN THEM UP TO BUTCHER?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Mar 10, 2009.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    We have 20 roos that we need to butcher or sell. They range from 4 months to almost a year. They need more meat on them before we butcher. What is recommended to put more meat on them. We keep them cooped up.

2. mirecipes

mirecipes Songster

Sep 5, 2008
    For meat/muscle try protein..For fat..try scratch/corn

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I use both at the same time that way the meat is well muscled and good enough fat content to be good and juicey. I feed a high protein game bird feed and straight cracked corn mixed, have had good results fast with this method.

AL

4. Tad

Tad Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    mix a 50 pound bag of turkey starter and a 50 pound bag of scratch, and feed it free choice!

5. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Thanks for the replies. I have been feeding them the game bird and cracked corn. At what age do you usually butcher?

6. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Songster

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    You can butcher them at any age, but usually from 12-16 weeks or so is the most tender meat, and then it gets tougher as you go on--- you can butcher them until they're very old.

It's possible they're as "big" as they're going to get-- if they're not cornish crosses or specically meat birds, you wont' get a huge bird. They're still yummy!!! We've had a lot of rooster stew and rooster pot pies that were out of this world!

Quote:

7. leellac

leellac Hatching

Jan 19, 2013
    I have 11 I need to butcher. How do You do it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by