what do I do about the neighbor's rooster?

If he’s flying over your fence, maybe you could try catching him and clipping his wings? I don’t know your neighborhood or how people feel about the neighbor’s chickens coming into their yard. I know that where I live, it’s considered common courtesy to keep your animals on your own property. You mentioned the potential of your chickens ending up at your neighbor’s house - I’d work really hard not to let that happen no matter how you resolve the rooster problem. You relocate him, what’s to stop your neighbor from doing the same with your birds if they wander?

From what I understand from the post, this bird is feral and does not belong to the neighbor. If he does, then that is another story.
In Hawaii, the feral chickens are not a protected animal. There are even pest control services that will "humanely trap and relocate" them for a home owner or business that has been over run by them.
Unless you live in Honolulu, in general, fences between neighbors are also few and far between.

I have three seven-week-old feral pullets and a cockerel that I rescued when their feral mom died. For now I am keeping them confined to a run until they are big enough to defend themselves from feral cats and mongooses, the only real predators around here (I live in Hawaii).

There's a rooster that lives nearby, totally feral except my neighbor feeds him. He hangs around my yard and my coop all the time, and has even eaten out of my hand before, so I thought he was pretty docile. Well, yesterday my chickens all escaped their run (I'm dumb and didn't latch the door properly), and the rooster started chasing them around, plucking at their tail feathers and pecking them really hard in the chest, and my little girls were screaming!! I was so mad at him. Then he and one of his hens went in my run and started eating all the feed. So I trapped them in there.

I got a different neighbor to help me get the rooster out of the coop (we let the hen go). This neighbor hates that he crows all night and was going to relocate him to a park like seven miles away. But something happened--I'm not sure what, but the rooster is now free and back running around outside.

I was going to free-range my birds when they got big enough, but now I'm afraid this rooster is just going to attack them if I try to let them out. And if I trap or kill this feral rooster, I'm afraid my neighbor who feeds him might hurt my birds if they fly over his fence.

What can I do? I'm so mad at this bird for attacking my little pullets, and I know that once I start free-ranging my girls he's going to come steal all their feed. I just want him gone, or at least out of my yard for good. Technically he doesn't belong to anybody, but I saw my neighbor holding and petting him this morning.

Would I be a hypocrite if I trapped & relocated him next time he comes into my yard, but let my own birds free-range (and possibly go into the neighbor's yard)? I'm going to get rid of my own rooster, fwiw, once he starts crowing, and I would never hurt or harm a hen that came into my yard unless she was injuring my birds too for some reason. And if one of my birds was injuring someone else's pet, I wouldn't hold it against them if they caught or even killed one.
Click, click.. BOOM!

Sounds like this guy needs a trip to the back roads. I used to live Waimanalo and all those feral boys found their way some how.

Usually by the kids on the golf cart. With chickens being the state bird and this one being feral.. I doubt it would be a big deal if it went missing.. and no offense to those saying “moving it would only burden someone else” I don’t think you understand the mass quantity of feral chickens on the islands. Haha

Have you considered discussing the problem with the neighbor who feeds the rooster? To me, it seems kind of underhanded to dispose of the rooster without talking to him. Then if/when he asks you about it, since you don't like to lie, you are going to have to 'fess up and tell him what you did, which you already fear may have negative consequences. (And, in my opinion, rightfully so.)

Suppose you start by letting him know there's a problem and see if a solution can be worked out before you do anything. He may be fond enough of the rooster to decide to build him a pen and keep him confined. Problem solved. Or he may have a friend or a place he is willing to take him to. Or he may say, no worries, take him away. Aloha. Problem solved, no hard feelings. No anxiety on your part. Is this worth a try?

Well, I don't like lying. If I were asked about what happened to the bird, I could say, "he was harassing me and my birds so I relocated him to X place," instead of saying "he was harassing me and my birds so I killed him."

The emotional impact of hearing your bird was killed vs. relocated is different, so if the neighbor found out what happened, he'd probably be less likely to get unreasonably angry at me. Although I imagine he'd be angry either way, the degree of anger would be different.

I haven't actually spoken to this neighbor though. I only saw him petting the bird today before letting him go again. This is such a weird situation, tbh. I want the rooster gone because he attacked my pullets... I'm going to try to catch him in the morning and relocate very far away, and hopefully no one will notice me doing anything so no one will ask me about it...
Can't stop laughing at these words!

"He was harassing me and my birds so I killed him."

Back
Top Bottom