what do I do chickens bad leg still not healing

Chicksforkids had some good info.....now I want to throw something else that came to mind after some of the things you have said Dixie and also by the look....slipped tendon/or/dislocated. The shaking of the leg "like he was doing exercises" sort of leads me in that direction. Kinda like when your leg/arm goes to "sleep" and you want to shake it awake....
Gotta go look up that info......I like playing Sherlock Holmes. I THINK the chicken is too old to get Mareks......

Can this chicken pull its leg back underneath itself? Or is it just stuck in that position? Does it respond when you gently pinch the toes? Does it feel very cold compared to the other leg? If it stays in the position with its leg out to the side and doesn't have the control to pull the leg back up underneath its self, It is probably dislocated at the hip joint/ or broke. Unfortunately when they have no use of the leg ( I hope it does) atrophy sets in. I would need to know more to give you a better assessment.
D.gif

thank you everyone for all your info. we have been so busy with trying to get the coop up and some personal stuff, you know like we all have that I have fallen asleap during my usual time to get on line and do this. Black silkie can put his leg under him and he was doing so good. he was eating and walking almost running. then all the sudden he acts like it hurts him again and now he does not want to eat and he moves very cautusly on it. he is beging to look funny long legs and little body I think becuse he does not eat. I will try to get another picture and post it. I just can not get him to eat, he wont eat egg yoaks or layer crumble, flock raiser or even scratch grain. he wont enve eat fresh corn or peas. He only wants blackberries and bread. I am going to give him more baby vitamins without iron again tonight. gosh there is so much to learn is rasing animals and stuff. I really hope he makes it I may make some broc and penut butter I got him to eat that one time. let me know if there is anything else I can do...

thank you

Maybe his Achilles tendon has slipped out of his hock joint??

If it looks like that is the case, there is information on how to treat that on the webpage linked in my sig line below. You will want to correct it ASAP.

I'd give him some baby aspirin (See "Give Painkiller" section on my webpage) to ease his pain and then maybe he'll eat better, too.

Vitamin B helps with some leg problems so if you have a Vitamin B pill, you might try breaking off a little piece & feeding it to him. If you are already giving a multivitamin powder or supplement or something, it may already have Vitamin B in it.

Best wishes!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom