What do I do? I hate my bridesmaid dress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has she picked her gown yet? If not, you should mention that no matter how much she loves the bridesmaid dresses, she needs to make sure they won't distract attention from her and her dress. This way you are not being critical of her tastes and choices, but expressing a concern that will be valid to her.

Alao, are the dresses only available in England, or can they be found here? If available, you could volunteer to go to a bridal shop and try it and other dresses on, take photos and send them to her for selection. Lots of times things look different when worn than hanging on the rack. And it goes both ways--things that look awful on the rack can look stunning when worn, and things that look lovely on a coat hanger look hideous when actually worn.

Cost looks awfully high, too. I don't know how many bridesmaids are planned, but a $350 tag would rule be too much for many people,and you can express that concern, not just for yourself, but also for the other bridesmaids. Since this is your sister,your mommay be a better person to speak to her on the choice--especially if your parents are footing the bill.

What the heck is a pashmina? Never heard the term before.

Anyways, regardless of whatever dress ends up as the choice, bridesmaids are obligated to wear it for the duration of the wedding--which includes the reception. Many wedding photos are taken during the reception. Changing out for the reception would be at best tacky and disrespectful.

You should make a little toule hen & tack in in behind the flower. She can "peek" out of the garden.

Pashima is a fancy scarf. Don't need them here in the hot.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL I've seen some pretty terrible things in my time, so for my wedding I gave her a colour and let her find something that she liked in that shade that she then ran by me. She was the only one though, so it was a little easier. The other two bridesmaids will be young girls and I don't know how appropriate strapless is for them either. I just can't imagine three people wearing that together, one is ornate enough. We're not particularly close. She's kind of bossy but also very sensitive.

ok-

Wait until your girl time. Eat a bag of super-salty chips and some mexican food. Then drink 5 or six diet sodas. Wait for the bloat to kick in.

Go down to the store, try it on, sneakily snap a REALLY unflattering pic. Get a heavy friend to put on strappy sandles and get a pic of super-cankles.

Send them to your sister, with a note how excited you are.

JUUUUST KIDDING, my vote is "just deal"

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL I've seen some pretty terrible things in my time, so for my wedding I gave her a colour and let her find something that she liked in that shade that she then ran by me. She was the only one though, so it was a little easier. The other two bridesmaids will be young girls and I don't know how appropriate strapless is for them either. I just can't imagine three people wearing that together, one is ornate enough. We're not particularly close. She's kind of bossy but also very sensitive.

Well, different people do have different tastes. Since she is sensitive, you need to focus on how they set off her dress, and perhaps that three of them will overpower and take away from her rather than providing a background that highlights the bride. And cost is probably an issue. How young are the other bridesmaids? I honestly see girls and young women of all ages in strapless dresses all the time. It's not particularly revealing--a lowcut gown would be more of an issue from the standpoint of appropriate attire based upon age.

I've been looking through our wedding photos to show what she wore for my wedding, and then I was reminded of something funny that happened at our wedding. It wasn't planned that way, it was just the way it happened. My husband's best man is 6'7. My sister is 5'.

3798_ry3d400.jpg

Quote:
Depending on how your relationship is with your sister, will determine how you aproach this.
I like the idea of taking a pic of your self in a similiar dress shape, and emailing it to her.
Its very passive agressive, but she is likely to not catch that.

For myself, I had my sister choose the dresses, after I chose mine.
The only stipulation I had, was it had to have the matching style in the jacket, and be the same apple red to match my dress.
She chose a dress the was perfect all around.

Last edited:
I know how you feel... My sister is getting married in June, and she is picking out the pattern and material. (We normally make our wedding things instead of buy them) I am just worried because she is picking everything out and then she will be sending it to me. To give you an idea of her taste too, her colors are going to be 'jewel tones'- emerald, ruby, and sapphire.
hu.gif

She often wears HIGH waisted jeans, in all colors (Bright blue or purple anyone?)
ep.gif
with button down long sleeve mens shirts....
th.gif
I dont have good taste, but at least I know it
lol.png
I am always asking HD's advice and I won't go clothes shopping alone. But she is doing this all by herself, since she lives away from both her family and her fiance.

So I totally understand, at this point I am still
fl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom