What do I do if Kyle's neck/scratching doesn't get better?

Kyle the duck

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2021
Kyle is a Muscovy. Yesterday I noticed his feathers were all over the ground, and a small part of his neck is raw and bloody. Today I noticed him scratching that area. I am assuming that's what caused so many of his feathers to be ripped off.
Kyle isn't mine (he belongs to no one, he's his own man), and my only experience with ducks is hanging out with him. Because of those things, I don't know what to do here. His behavior seems normal (he's a pretty social bird, I think) and he doesn't seem to have any other issues.
Right now I think I'm just going to watch it for a few days, but I don't know what to do if it doesn't get better.

I attached a photo of what his neck looked like yesterday (it's worse today, but he's too squirmy for me to get a good picture) and also a photo of what his neck looks like when he's not scalping himself.

Edit: Thank you guys for the advice. A few minutes ago, I tried to check his feathers and skin for mites, lice, or fleas, and he absolutely was not having it. He just kept swinging his neck around and smacking me in the arm with his face (this has to hurt him more than it hurts me) and then flapping his wings and running away. He's not used to being touched by people. If it doesn't get better soon, I'll have to try again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-131023.png
    Screenshot_20220817-131023.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211103_140420929_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211103_140420929_HDR.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Have you seen other drakes going after Kyle? Drakes will mount and try and mate other drakes in a show of dominance and will grab and pull out feathers. Making sores.
If he'll let you treat his wound that will help, but if other drakes are going after him only keeping him from them would keep him from getting any worse.

Lol, love the name! Clean Kyles wound with saline or warm soapy water, see if you can tell why it's itchy. Then slather with antibacterial cream. I know anti histamines don't work on chickens, but maybe they work on ducks.
Thank you! I will try it if he will let me.

Have you seen other drakes going after Kyle? Drakes will mount and try and mate other drakes in a show of dominance and will grab and pull out feathers. Making sores.
If he'll let you treat his wound that will help, but if other drakes are going after him only keeping him from them would keep him from getting any worse.
He's the only drake or even duck I've ever seen on campus. He's definitely the only one living near the "lake" he lives on.

Poor boy no duck friends.
Can you examine him for fleas, mites or lice?
He doesn't really like to be touched (I've known him for almost a year and we're friends, but he's not a lovey dovey guy), so that may be quite difficult. Also, I'm not sure what to look for when it comes to mites.

Look for any moving tiny bugs under his feathers. When you touch him they may start to crawl up your arm.

If you have a white bucket place him in there and use your fingers to agitate his entire skin and feathers ( same way you agitate your scalp when you shampoo your head). Once your done, take him out and look inside the bucket for moving bugs.

If there's an infestation, treatment is required.

Back
Top Bottom