What do I do if Kyle's neck/scratching doesn't get better?

Look for any moving tiny bugs under his feathers. When you touch him they may start to crawl up your arm.

If you have a white bucket place him in there and use your fingers to agitate his entire skin and feathers ( same way you agitate your scalp when you shampoo your head). Once your done, take him out and look inside the bucket for moving bugs.

If there's an infestation, treatment is required.
Thanks. I don't have a white bucket anywhere in my dorm, but he won't let me touch him that much anyway. He definitely won't let me pick him up. I tried to check his feathers and skin a few minutes ago, and he was not okay with that at all and wouldn't let me do it. I don't know if I'm allowed to treat him anyways since he's not mine (or anyone else's).

Last edited:
Does anyone care for Kyle like feed him and does he have a house for nighttime?
No one else feeds him nutritious food that's meant for ducks. Some people walk by and see him and then give him crackers or whatever they have (which is bad for him when so many people do it). I feed him a small amount of duck food most days. I don't do it every day because I don't want him to rely on it and then I'm gone on breaks and after graduation (in a couple years) and he's used to me feeding him. He does feed himself by dabbling and occasionally fishing. He doesn't have a house. He sleeps at the base of a tree during the day (because heat index is triple digits) and sometimes on the dock at night. I think the most attention he gets from other people is "is that a duck...it doesn't look like a duck...what's that on its face" and "omg she's so cute" (he's a he) and some cracker feeding.

Is there an SPCA or Wildlife rescue centre you can call? That's why I was wondering where you were from, because some states just consider Muscovy as being feral, while others treat them as native.

btw, it's really sweet of you to be caring for Kyle. So many would just walk by, or as you said, throw some bread or crackers.

Is there an SPCA or Wildlife rescue centre you can call? That's why I was wondering where you were from, because some states just consider Muscovy as being feral, while others treat them as native.

btw, it's really sweet of you to be caring for Kyle. So many would just walk by, or as you said, throw some bread or crackers.
That's a good idea. The nearest wildlife rescue center is over an hour away, so I don't know that they would help Kyle. I definitely can't get him there. But if worse comes to worst, I could always drive there and say "Hey, here's the problem with my friend Kyle. What would you guys do, and is there any way I could do that myself?"

I thought most rescues go out and capture the stray animals kind of like animal control.

When you call them you should mention he is a abandon farm duck in bad condition and that if they could help rescue it.

I thought most rescues go out and capture the stray animals kind of like animal control.
I don't think ours will. It's so far away. It's like a two and a half hour round trip for them. Plus, I don't know that Kyle needs captured unless he actually needs serious help that I can't give him.

I am sending my thoughts and prayers for Kyle, and thank you for caring about him enough to want to take care of him! He is lucky to have a friend like you.
If he struggles and doesn't want you to touch him, I understand you not wanting to violate that. But if it's for his own good you might want to keep trying.

It might be worthwhile to see if you can find a place in the area he could be rehomed to, that is closer than the rescue you mention. If you can confirm that unclaimed Muscovies are considered feral and that he belongs to no one, you might be allowed to take action that is for the betterment of his wellbeing.

I don't know if betterment is a word but it looks like one. Also it sounds like buttermints. But you know what I mean, haha.
Good luck to you and your sweet bro Kyle

I am sending my thoughts and prayers for Kyle, and thank you for caring about him enough to want to take care of him! He is lucky to have a friend like you.
If he struggles and doesn't want you to touch him, I understand you not wanting to violate that. But if it's for his own good you might want to keep trying.

It might be worthwhile to see if you can find a place in the area he could be rehomed to, that is closer than the rescue you mention. If you can confirm that unclaimed Muscovies are considered feral and that he belongs to no one, you might be allowed to take action that is for the betterment of his wellbeing.

I don't know if betterment is a word but it looks like one. Also it sounds like buttermints. But you know what I mean, haha.
Good luck to you and your sweet bro Kyle
Thank you! You're right. If he doesn't start looking like he's making some progress in the next couple days, I'll have to try again. He'll probably fly into the lake to get away from the touching though, lol.
Most of the people living in my part of the city are either fellow college kids or people living at or near the poverty line, so rehoming would be difficult. Plus, I don't even know where I'd begin in that process.
He seems to do very well here (he's been here at least a year) and hasn't had any issues until now, even in the winter. He has food everywhere (he can dabble and fish and eat weeds and grass, which he does) and water to drink and swim in. Just no other ducks, which is a little sad in my opinion. So I don't know that he needs moved. And if he did move, I don't know that it would be much better around here where most people can't afford another mouth to feed.

Back
Top Bottom