What do I do if my parents don't think my chickens need more space but they do?

My Husbands favourite saying.
What came first? The chicken or the egg?
The coop!!!
gig.gif
Funny, Not in my house!
hmm.png
But it definitely should have.
hide.gif

My Husbands favourite saying.
What came first? The chicken or the egg?
The coop!!!
Hahaha!! This had me guffawing!!

I got my coop all ready before I got birds, but I got adults and hadn't built the run yet.
So they spent 2 weeks in the coop, BUT coop was plenty large (96sqft) for the 10 birds I had brought in.

Hey everyone, we just got 6 new chicks because 4 of ours died. So now we have 8 chickens, 2 grown and 6,,6 week olds. My parents plan is to add these new chicks in with the old 2. So we have been using the playpen method without a playpen. Well once we add the new chicks in with the old two they will not have enough space to sleep, run, eat & drink, etc. Inside. They have plenty of room outside but they are only aloud out in the one part of the coop when we are home and we are never home. This is because there is no roof on the other part and we don't have a rooster so predators can easily get in. (We learned that the hard way) But the problem is my chickens do not have enough space and my parents don't believe me they won't give them any more space even though we have more room.WHAT DO I DO? I WORRIED FOR THE CHICKENS
Invite your parents to read up about coop/protected run space per bird.
Tell them that a large covered run is a necessity, not a luxury.
Over crowding is horrible for chickens. It WILL lead to fighting, egg eating, sores from pecking, dirty and broken feathers, possible disease, etc.
Chickens need personal space for preening, exercise, and good mental health. I am a parent of two young adults and I've had the pleasure of teaching them about chickens A-Z.
I will have no worries about their own flocks in the future.

Thanks everyone I have tried to tell them many times and getting factual information and showing them. They have been considering it but they say they will be fine. I've been telling them ok for now but when they get a bit bigger it's not going to be ok. I'll try to get the dimensions of they out and inside of the coop. I have

Thanks everyone I have tried to tell them many times and getting factual information and showing them. They have been considering it but they say they will be fine. I've been telling them ok for now but when they get a bit bigger it's not going to be ok. I'll try to get the dimensions of they out and inside of the coop soon. I have considered just adding on my self.

Thanks everyone I have tried to tell them many times and getting factual information and showing them. They have been considering it but they say they will be fine. I've been telling them ok for now but when they get a bit bigger it's not going to be ok. I'll try to get the dimensions of they out and inside of the coop. I have considered just adding on my self.
We can help you more if you do get the dimensions. If you do add on yourself (and good for you! if you do) get their permission first. I would not discourage my kids from earning the money and doing the labor if they wanted to tackle a project like that. It's a good experience.

Back
Top Bottom