What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken4prez, Mar 27, 2017.

1. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I think my hen is recovering from an impacted crop. We've been giving her grit and olive oil mixed with bread. It's working. What should I do now? Should I keep feeding her grit and bread soaked with olive oil? Or should I feed her something different? Oh and also, what is their poop supposed to look like? Impacted crops are new for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What does her crop feel like? I would stop the oil and bread--that can gunk up the crop. Can you give her some plain cultured yogurt, about a tsp per day? If her crop is empty in the morning, give her some chopped soft egg and yogurt, and plenty of water with electrolytes and vitamins. Are you massaging her crop? The next day if the crop is empty first thing in the morning, you can give some runny feed mixed with a lot of water in a bowl, along with the other things from the day before. Read Two Cows article about treating impacted and sour crop by doing a search at the top of this page.

3. chicken4prez

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    It was hard yesterday but I just felt it about half an hour ago and it feels a bit softer. Ok. What type of vitamins should I be giving her? I haven't massaged it yet but I'll do it tonight. Ok thanks so much!

4. chicken4prez

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    @Eggcessive ?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I use poultry vitamins. If you want them in water, use Vitamins with Lactobacillus by Rooster Booster. If you want to give it just to her use Poultry Cell or Poultry NutriDrench 2-3 ml daily. In a pinch human Vitamin B Complex tablets crushed in food or water works well. How is she doing? I don't have a lot of experience with crop problems-- the 3 I have had died. Sometimes there is an underlying problem why the crop isn't working. Worms, coccidiosis, and viruses can cause it to slow down. I would read Two Crows article and others and follow their instructions. I also would have grit available to her if she needs it, but not feed it to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by