What do I do with a pheasant?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by sadieH5836, Mar 5, 2009.

1. sadieH5836

sadieH5836 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Egg Harbor
    Last weekend we had a Blue eared Pheasant arrive at our house.
    we don't know where he/she came from. My nephew named him chubby.
    So what should I with him. He is real calm and very friendly. He has been roosting in my bushes. and when I come out of the house he runs to me looking for his meal.
    I raise chickens and was wondering if I could put him in the run with my girls. I worry about preditors. We have coyotes in the area.
    Any suggestions?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You need to send him to me...... [​IMG] I would not put him in with your chickens but you could section off an area for him. I'm sure he is missing his regular meals hehe. [​IMG]

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    oh wow that's really neat!!! I wish someone would let some cool birds like that go on my property lol! being as he's friendly i bet someone put him there??

4. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    your chickens may pick at his tail feathers. Also it's probably not a good idea to introduce strange birds into your flock. You are lucky though! I love pheasants!!!![​IMG]

5. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Received your e-mail, but will reply here as well. If you are concerned for his safety and depending on the breeds of chickens, you could temporarily house him with them until a permanent aviary could be constructed. He sounds pretty tame and could be easy pickings for a predator, so do what you feel is best.

Eared-Pheasants are big birds and do need a lot of room, so a small section would stress him out. Perhaps even moving the chickens into a different area temporarily if you can, they can tolerate smaller locations than this species. Eared-Pheasants are also super personable and have been the "tamest" pheasants I have ever worked with. I had a female brown eared that bonded with me and had absolutely no interest in other birds!!

I have a running tab on "loose" pheasants. Since I created gbwf back in 97, I have heard from folks in a Washington state subdivision (city escapes my mind now) that had a resident Blue Eared, a Swinhoe that took up residence in a backyard near Pittsburgh, countless Golden, Amherst, and Silver sightings (lots of e-mailed photo for me to confirm id) at backyard bird feeders - including here in the KC area. I have always intended to create a page on the pheasant section of gbwf about these stories, just never got around to it.

Dan

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wish I had room for a pheasant or two. When I was little we had lots of ringnecks that nested on our ditch banks and fence lines. We even had a game hen that was bred by a rooster pheasant once... The chicks just looked weird.

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:WOW Dan! I'd love if you can do that someday. If you do please post about it here! I'd love to read about that! [​IMG] I wish one would come here that'd give me an excuse to make a big flight pen for it! [​IMG]

8. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Lophura Id love to see some of the pics people sent you of the feral pheasants . Got any to share on here ? [​IMG]

9. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Here's a few "backyard pheasants" that were sent to me and I have uploaded to gbwf. All of these were from non-bird keepers of birds that showed up in their yards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Is that last pic a melanistic pheasant?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by