what do I do with all the eggs?

Yesterday we gave the neighbors on both sides of us some eggs; we also give them to friends, family and co-workers. My wife bakes cakes and uses extra eggs. Here in our county in California there is an ordinance against selling eggs from a residence or having a sign posted example Fresh Eggs for Sale so we don’t sell them. Has anyone else experienced any similar ordinances? Prior to this you would see all kinds of signs from people selling eggs. We also give a couple of dozen to our butcher every other week who gives us great service when we frequent our market.

Last edited:
We sell ours to a local food co-op and the "health food" stores. Some will buy without us having a license and some require a license (costs about $20). We sell them for anywhere from $1-$1.50 a dozen. (Most times we don't sell them at all.) We also have a food pantry down the road from us and either will give them some or hand them straight out to the people walking past our house that are on their way there. Blessings others will always bless you! Everyone deserves good free range fresh eggs that don't cost 3 or 4 dollars. FREE is so good for your health!
Blessings,
Amy J.

I am also in Northern California. I haven't seen anything or don't know of any ordinance. A lot of our fruit stands sell the eggs from locals and no one seems to say anything. My hubby thinks I sell them to pay for the feed, but I just give them to neighbors, co-workers and family. In my area we get $3.00 per dozen. Keeps my neighbors happy and it is a bribe to keep quiet, because I am not supposed to have my little feathered friends.

Sioux, you may want to check if a fruit stand in your area, if there is one, might take them on to sell. Good luck! Lori

After they are frozen they don't have the same consistance as fresh eggs. The yoks take on a jelly like texture. They are great however for baking or whip them up as scrambled eggs. Can't tell the difference in taste.

Used to do this all the time when eggs were on sale at the store. Crack 6 eggs into a ziplock bag, zip, and lay flat in the freezer. Only take about 30 minutes to thaw.

Coyote

Thanks for all the ideas -- I forgot you can freeze eggs! That will helps us get through the winter when we have less. I'll have to check out the fruit stand or food pantry idea. I think ours in town only does non-perishable items though. Sounds like I have some investigating to do!

Thanks!
Sioux

Quote:
I called the county and they said there is no ordinance in regards to selling eggs out of your home but said it could be a zoning issue and the lady gave me a number to call. Well I got the answer I needed from the zoning commission, you must have a minimun of 2 acres to sell eggs out of your home here in our county.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom