what do I do with all the eggs?

siouxbee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
I'm still just starting out, have six chicks now, and am getting four more over the next couple of weeks. They won't be laying for a while yet obviously, but I was talking to someone today, and they said "How many eggs will you have". I've got breeds that lay about 5 or so eggs per week, not counting the 2 Silkies. So say 8 hens, laying 5 eggs, that's 40 eggs per week.

We normally go through a dozen eggs every 2-3 weeks. Do you see where I'm heading? Say I take the extra 4, that leaves me about 3 dozen eggs per week!

So. I'm wondering what everyone else does with all their eggs? I can barely hold back from not getting more chickens, and I can't imagine what those of you with oodles of hens do with them. I don't have that many frirends and neighbors interested (half my neighbors have chickens of their own!)

Thanks,

Sioux

I sell mine for $3 a dozen, to neighbors, friends etc. They love them. I actually sold some tonight to a friend who is very into 'organic' stuff, I sold them 4 dozen! Now that it's getting warmer, the girls are producing alot. keep that in mind, the amount of eggs in the winter is less.

Surprise your friends and neighbors (you know.....the ones who have their own chickens and eggs) by using your extra eggs to bake them a cake.......... a 10 Egg Pound Cake! LOL
This recipe has been posted several times on byc and everyone loved it. I dont know who posted it originally. I understand that it also freezes well. Betcha you could substitute Lemon extract and zest for the rum and almond flavorings and turn out an awesome lemon pound cake.

10 Egg Pound Cake
3 cups sugar
2 cups Crisco shortening
10 eggs
3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup Pet milk (edited to add: Pet is a brand name of evaporated or condensed milk. Dont use "sweetened condensed" milk)
1 tsp rum flavoring
1/2 tsp almond flavoring (optional)

Cream Crisco and sugar together well, then add eggs, beating very well after each. Add salt, flavorings and milk, then flour. Bake in an extra large tube pan that has been floured and greased. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Check after 1 hour and 45 minutes. Cake is done if knife inserted in center comes out clean.

chel <now drooling for cake

2 words, Craigs List

Just a thought.
By law I can never have your problem, we can only have 4
sad.png

and we do
big_smile.png

Quote:
Akyramoto, Do you really sell your eggs for that much? I heard that things are more expensive in CA. But wow!!
ep.gif
I live in Pa. Our eggs in the food stores here go for approx $1.38 a dozen of lg. white. They just started selling free range brown eggs and they go for approx $2.45 a dozen. I sell mine at my work place for $1.00 a doz. And still have problems getting people to buying them. I usually have to give them away to family or neighbors.
sad.png

But Siouxbee...you can sell them, give-em away or do alot of extra baking.
smile.png
I see signs on peoples lawns that say Brown Eggs for sale. And I heard people will pay more for Fertilized Eggs.
hmm.png
Either way have fun, I enjoy collecting them, and I try to guess how many I will have that day.
hu.gif

Once the girls strated laying regularly, I began Baking more, and selling eggs. I sell mine for $1.50 a dozen.. I get about a dozen to 16 eggs a day. And I still only have at most, 2-3 doz in my fridge at any given time. Lots of people love Farm fresh eggs.

There are so many people around here that have their own chickens, that eggs are a hard sell. I give mine to family and friends. Angle food cakes, (10 egg whites) are excellent with fresh eggs too. I use the yolk to bake into a egg bread for the chickens. It is just 10 yolks, 1 cup cornmeal, 1 cup oatmeal, 1/4c wheatgerm and mix with enough water to make a batter it is not levened so it's not real important how thin it is just bake on 300 for about 1 hour. The chickens love this treat and it is good for them. I cut in squares and freeze. I also make lots of egg custard, I use splenda in my recipe and it is a great high protein low carb, no sugar dessert. I give my chickens lots of boiled eggs mixed with oatmeal and yogurt as a treat as well. You can use lots of eggs feeding back to your chickens for increased protein in their diet. Crust the egg shells and use them in your garden and mix them back in the chicken feed. Best to bake them in the overn for 15 minutes if they are fed back to your birds.

I bake a lot more in the fall and around Christmas and use alot of eggs then. I try to keep about 4 dozen frozen just incase I am running short. When I bake cakes for gifts at the holidays just my neighbors and freinds require me to have 12 - 14 dozen eggs on hand over a period of a couple of days. That's alot of eggs!

If you like to keep a small back up supply of things and have a freezer, you can safely freeze your eggs also. Crack them into the cups of a large ice cube tray. When they freeze pop them out and put them in a ziplock type freezer bag. You can rotate them out every few months. Thaw and use them in your cooking and baking.

Also remember your hens will most likely slow down in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom