What do I do with my roosters?

Homefarm162

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2017
i recently discovered out of my 9 chicken 2 are roosters. I have become really attached to them both and I don't want to kill them, if anyone has any other suggestions on what to do please say so I live in Massachusetts if anyone knows anywhere that accepts roosters (to not kill) near there please say so!!

Hi, and welcome to BYC! It's good that you recognize that 2 roosters are too many for 7 pullets/hens. There are a lot of good threads on roosters you could take a look at.
There is also a forum called "animals in need of free rehoming." You may find your boys a home with a BYC member in need of a rooster.Be sure to put your location....in fact, also reply to this thread with all the info. Breed, age, location, etc. Good luck!

Hi, and welcome to BYC! It's good that you recognize that 2 roosters are too many for 7 pullets/hens. There are a lot of good threads on roosters you could take a look at.
There is also a forum called "animals in need of free rehoming." You may find your boys a home with a BYC member in need of a rooster.Be sure to put your location....in fact, also reply to this thread with all the info. Breed, age, location, etc. Good luck!
Thank you so much, I'm so happy there is another option rather than killing

Some people keep separate flocks for roosters. You could try that. I would take him, but Wisconsin is quite a long ways away. Hope you do figure out what to do with them! I also disagree with killing a perfectly healthy chicken just because of its gender. Good luck!

The roosters get along with each other just fine. I might opt for no crow collars, it was just the neighbors that were the reason I was looking for new homes. If anyone has any experience with the no crow collars did they work?

I never used them but I looked into the no crow collars for my rooster. Based on what I saw on YouTube it seems to make them less quiet. It doesn't look like it gets them to stop crowing but the sound is lower and not as long. Just an observation since I personally haven't used it. Good luck and I hope you get to keep your roos or find them good homes!

I never used them but I looked into the no crow collars for my rooster. Based on what I saw on YouTube it seems to make them less quiet. It doesn't look like it gets them to stop crowing but the sound is lower and not as long. Just an observation since I personally haven't used it. Good luck and I hope you get to keep your roos or find them good homes!
Thank you me too!

Back
Top Bottom