What do I do with my run now that it is winter?

LED. Okay. What if I put a light in the run? A small wattage one that would not heat the run but would just provide some additional light?

Are you trying to add light in order to keep your hens laying through the winter? If they are laying now, and are first year layers - there is a good chance they will lay thru winter anyway. My older girls are taking time off and many are molting anyway so they are not laying. Typically they will go to roost at dusk anyway, so I don't know what purpose a light in the run will serve. Not sure if it would attract or deter predators, racoons fox etc. which can be might bold in the winter especially - when looking for a meal.

Hate to say it, but a coon can rip right thru chicken wire. It's main purpose it to keep chickens in an area - but won't keep predators out. Consider either locking the chickens in their coop at dusk, or use a heavier wire on your pen ( as in cage wire or hardware cloth wire) or running electric fencing around the run (I think the cheapest and easiest of these options :)

Also wanted to mention, don't forget that weight of snow can collapse a run as well as tarp that is sagging and full of water.

throw some leaves in there...your hens will love it. :)

Last edited:
what is everyone doing about the mud in the chicken runs? I have tried to tarp mine up so that it doesn't get so wet, yet it is still swamp like... I tried putting hay down, but that just turned into a soggy, muddy mushy mess! What works for you? Thanks!

what is everyone doing about the mud in the chicken runs? I have tried to tarp mine up so that it doesn't get so wet, yet it is still swamp like... I tried putting hay down, but that just turned into a soggy, muddy mushy mess! What works for you? Thanks!
Two words....traction sand. OR.....pea gravel. My run is 90 percent sand and even when water runs in, it drains well and stays dry because of the sand. Also makes a great giant litter box.

Thanks for the pictures! Cute coops. I have posted some of mine on the first page. I love that your run is big and open. I feel bad that my chickens are in a 10 X 8 area. But that is all the space I have. I live in Salt Lake City and it has been in the 20's all week. But that is unusual for November. More like January weather. We can get into the teens, but very rarely.
I agree, your chickens should be fine in those temps and below even, without additional heat or light.

I have had the same problem, mostly because my coop is by a rain gutter near my house. The key is to keep the water from getting there in the first place. I don't know what you setup is, but we have put a drain on the raingutter and directed it away from the house and that has helped alot. I have also read that you can dig a trench around your coop to keep water from getting in. Try tarping in the direction the rain or snow is coming in. I just put down some straw, and it has made a big difference. But my ground was really hard to begin with. Hope those suggestions help.

blondiebee, chickens don't mind walking on pea gravel? Don't they just kick it out of the run? My chickens make such a mess of everything!

I have had the same problem, mostly because my coop is by a rain gutter near my house. The key is to keep the water from getting there in the first place. I don't know what you setup is, but we have put a drain on the raingutter and directed it away from the house and that has helped alot. I have also read that you can dig a trench around your coop to keep water from getting in. Try tarping in the direction the rain or snow is coming in. I just put down some straw, and it has made a big difference. But my ground was really hard to begin with. Hope those suggestions help.

blondiebee, chickens don't mind walking on pea gravel? Don't they just kick it out of the run? My chickens make such a mess of everything!
Yeah redirecting the water is a good plan. I haven't tried pea gravel, but I know people who have and like it. The sand works really well though. I have ducks too and they tend to make more of a wet mess the way they feed, with their wet poos and the way they splash in the pool so the sand helps drainage a lot. The chickens like to dust in it, it is mixed with regular soil and DE. They scratch it for sure but they dont scratch it out per se.

It is definitely winter here and the snow is coming on heavy!  We have been worried about our chickens (this is our first winter with them and so we don't have any experience) being in the mud and snow.  We have covered about 2/3rds of our run with a tarp to keep out the snow and keep the ground dry.  But our run is only 3 feet high and so I am concerned about my hens not getting enough daylight or even being able to see.  Once it stops snowing, I can remove the tarp, but the snow could last a week or more.   Anyone see any problems with our setup?  I can take a picture if I need to.  

Also, it is going to get down to 23 degrees at night this week.  We have a nice sturdy coop, but it is not insulated, nor completely enclosed (the ramp goes up the middle of the coop so there is always an opening).  We have six chickens but I am still worried about them getting too cold.  How cold is too cold for a chicken?  Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
there are tarps that are totally clear and very heavy. I say cover the whole run to keep it dry. Also you need to put a wall onto that coop and cut a whole through it for a chicken door. No drafts . Best to be prepared long before cold comes on :)

https://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/...site&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Last edited:
Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. it is what contractors use over insulation to make a vapor barrier. It is heavy duty. I use it on the front (south side) of my run and tarp the back. Next summer I am going to roof my run with tuftex polycarbonate corrugated roofing (available at Lowe's).

What is that type of plastic called, so I can ask where to find them in HD (and so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about!)

Last edited:
What is that type of plastic called, so I can ask where to find them in HD (and so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about!)
just ask for the 4-6 mill plastic sheeting. Comes in clear (white) and black.
This is what I have been working on for my coops for the winter. The run is only 5 feet high. I put together 15 foot pvc poles, spaced them 18 inches apart and anchored them to the runs top 2x4. They sell the anchors... I don't know what they are called, but it keeps the pipes close to the walls... Anyway, I used those, 2 on each end for firmness. Ran a 19 foot long pipe along the top, connected to the wood and weaved thru the hoops over and under to help keep the hoops straight. The tarp is a 16x20. It is zip tied and duct taped to the end poles. It is stapled to the runs top 2x4 and then there are wood furring strips over that as well to keep the wind from ripping it off. I have since taken this picture finished it. BUT, all in all, this is one investment I am very glad to have put up. We've had frost here every morning, the water has frozen on top every morning. BUT no frost in the fun run. LOL. I do not have to worry about locking the coops in the run at night now that there is a top on. There is fencing on the ends all the way up to the top of the hoops to keep out owls, hawks and coons. The run door locks from high up so coon hands can not open it. It is full of leaves, and I have leaves in bags in the garage to keep them happy in the winter. Will just turn in new leaves every few weeks. Now, my birds free range all day. BUT in the winter, they have a snow free and dry place to be. No heat either. I do use a small heat lamp that sits over the waterer to keep it thawed enough for drinking. It is clamped, tied, and the power cord is weaved through the fencing on the run to keep it from falling into the leaves in the run and starting a fire. ALWAYS ALWAYS secure any light you may have in a coop or run more than one way. Triple secure it.

Well, anyway, I was thinking with your little run, you could get 4-10 foot pvc pipes and make a hoop house to attach to your run at the bottom, (I'd add a stonger 2x4 frame around the bottom) then cover that with the plastic. Get gorilla tape and tape the plastic from the inside so that it is also weather protected and stays. Make sure the plastic is tight before taping. If you go with the clear, they'll still get plenty of light in the run. I'll keep their area dry. I am guessing it'd cost you 20 tops.

Back
Top Bottom