What do I do with my run now that it is winter?

Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. it is what contractors use over insulation to make a vapor barrier. It is heavy duty. I use it on the front (south side) of my run and tarp the back. Next summer I am going to roof my run with tuftex polycarbonate corrugated roofing (available at Lowe's).

Yeah a lot of people use that corrugated stuff, it sounds nice! Myself, I have a 10X20 foot dog run for my 7 birds (5 hens and 2 ducks) and I have tarped the top and most of the end sides of the whole darn thing with heavy duty haystack tarping and bungees. The roof of the run is peaked in the middle so the water runs right off. Where are you located? I live in Boise Idaho and it got down to 20 degrees for a couple nights last week...I think the first night it sort of shocked them to know how cold it can really get LOL this is their first winter, and my first winter with chickens so I understand your concerns. But they seem to be doing great.

The trick is keeping the water de-iced and like everyone else said, the drafts out while still providing enough ventilation that CO2 that builds up from the chickens breath and poop can escape and frostbite doesn't become an issue. Someone once told me that any sort of ventilation that isn't causing air to run straight at the chickens while they are roosting is sufficient, you just don't want any wind-tunnels or open windows that are going to be right at chicken level or below. Your coop is very cute! I have a small coop as well and my girls keep plenty warm huddled up together.

As far as lighting or external heat sources, I frankly think they are expensive and a waste of effort for many reasons. Coop fires do happen from lack of sufficient wattage allowance, wood or straw becoming too hot etc...chickens used to extra light or heat will ALWAYS be used to extra light or heat so if the heat fails one night...they are likely to be VERY uncomfortable than if simply allowed to build up their natural winter coats. Chickens survived the cold long before electricity was invented. I hear stories of folks on here with chickens in Canada and Alaska who do not light or heat that do just fine. Supplementing light will ensure that your laying hens continue to do so throughout the winter. Chickens need around 14 hours of daylight to lay, but this will also burn them out sooner. Winter is a time for hens to relax, moult and put their energy into keeping warm. I don't like to mess with nature. Also, many people say their first year layers continue into winter despight the change of daylight hours anyway, and this has proved true with mine as well (except one who has decided to moult) Sorry this is a bit long, but I hope you find it useful. Stay warm this winter!

if you want light to keep getting eggs, I would rather suggest you use an LED bulb to light the coop. It doesnt make much eat to risk fires, they are very low wattage and wont use up much electricity so you can just set that out on a timer.

LED. Okay. What if I put a light in the run? A small wattage one that would not heat the run but would just provide some additional light?

Here are a couple pics of my setup. The yellow house is the ducks' and the red coop is the chickens. I have 5 chickens that sleep in there so it's cozy. I leave the ramp door down 24/7 and the little sliding window at the top is mostly closed right now. The duck door is also open all the time. So far they seem fine, no frostbite or anything. I also have the whole thing tarped, this pic is from Spring so it doesn't show that. Again, where are you located? What are your lowest temps like?

Thanks for the pictures! Cute coops. I have posted some of mine on the first page. I love that your run is big and open. I feel bad that my chickens are in a 10 X 8 area. But that is all the space I have. I live in Salt Lake City and it has been in the 20's all week. But that is unusual for November. More like January weather. We can get into the teens, but very rarely.

Thank you so much! Now I just have to figure out if I have drafts! Nice to know I am not the only one who has worried about chickens in winter! My other concern is not enough sunlight with the run covered. I know that interferes with egg production, but does it bother the chickens as well?
if you add a lamp for them, consider this:
full spectrum lighting.

It is the closest thing man made to the sun. full spectrum light bulbs imitate the light of the sun, and IF, if there is a problem with the birds or egg production(though I doubt there will be), the full spectrum lights will correct that. Word of caution though, they're not cheap. Least not in Northern Indiana they're not.

Back
Top Bottom