What do I do with them?

So I have 8 baby chicks :) One chick got squished (I had nine chicks) probably by a momma hen. Maybe it had something wrong with it? Anyways, the 2 momma hens share their babies and I don't think they know who's babies are who's! They are all in the chicken coop with the chicken coop door closed to be separated from the other chickens. I think tomorrow I will put the 2 momma hens and there babies in a cage inside of the coop and let the other chickens back in the chicken coop. That way, the chicks will (hopefully) be safe and the others can get used to them. Tonight it is raining outside and the 3 chickens that are penned in the chicken run are a bit wet (not soaked). They have a tin roof over the run but it's still wet in there. They also have a plastic tub in there that they can get into (one layed an egg in it). Will the wet chickens be okay? By the way, the 2 hens (not the rooster) have little 'coats' on their backs (they are hen saddles). It is around 75* F outside.

I was wrong about the temperature. It is around 64* outside and I think it's warming up. Will the wet chickens be alright?

So two chicks got smushed by the momma hens so far and I decided that I should separate the babies from the mamas. I don't want anymore chicks getting killed if I can help it. Plus, the other chickens that aren't broody were separated outside of the coop getting wet. Now the 7 remaining chicks are inside under a heat lamp peeping really loud! And the mommas are looking everywhere for their babies. Are they going to be okay?

Ohhh I am only new to this - but I wouldn't of separated the chicks from their mums.... I left my broody in with the other hens & 1 rooster all the way through. Though she only managed to hatch one chick so she could protect her/him very well.

Though now they are separate probably best to leave them as so? They will quieten down after a noisy little while!

I expect the more experienced here will have some tips!

Thanks, Daydreamfoodie! Now I feel bad for separating them. I just didn't want anymore to be killed.

Long as you have a warm light for them & show them their food & water they will b grand!! I've never had to deal with squashings - I'm not surprised you felt the need to rescue them!

They are eating and drinking just fine. (Except they are peeping VERY loud!) They have a 90 watt heat lamp over them, also. Will the momma hens be okay without their babies? They are still looking for them!

I think they may look for them for a few days - it is upsetting for the hens. I don't know if it would be too late but I would of been inclined to leave them with 2 each to give them a chance to be moms. And still leaving them wit less so not so likely to sqish anyone....

Well I already let the non-broody chickens in with the broodies. Plus, they are still sitting on the extra eggs that are due in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom