WHAT DO I DO?

ibarrett

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2017
Pennsylvania
I had 13 indian runners (1 male, 12 females). I had no problems with them whatsoever- until my drake got a limp. I thought he'd just recover and be ok but he got worse and became lame.

He was in really bad condition... his eyes were foggy and his feathers didn't look helathy. We made the decision to cull him.

Since then, I've had two more ducks with a limp. One of which healed after a week or so and is fine, the other is progressing the same was as our drake. To get around, she beats her wings and drags herself using her wings around-doing this has damaged her wings.

The ducks are normally free ranged over about 7 acres so there's a lot of running to keep up with the group. She'd often get left behind & cry, so since this I've penned them into a smaller space.

I suspect it's something with her feet or legs. Here's some pics I took yesterday:

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am feeding them organic soy-free layer pellets. They are were pasture raised in a big lot (I'd estimate about 7 acres) where they could forage and do their thing, but since her injury I've made a smaller pen. My reason being is when she was left behind she would cry and that tore me up seeing her separated from the group.

Since I've posted this I've convinced my mom (I'm 16 y/o, and therefore don't make household decisions) to take a trip to the vet, but at the end of the day it's my dad's decision. When he comes home tonight, I'll talk to him. I've also isolated her and put her into a box with her own food and water.

I'll keep you updated,

Isabelle

If you don't already have it get storey's guide to raising ducks. It is very helpful. Check your feed for raw peas as they are toxic to ducks.
Also I had this duck once that had a pinched nerve in his neck and my own chiro took care of it for me and he did not charge me anything. He got better within a day. It is worth a try. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I've been in contact with Miss Lydia and Amiga & they've given me advice, I'll check for ticks in the morning & keep you updated.

Hello all,

My parents have given me a solid "maybe" on the vet situation. They said they could take her, but if they did, I would have to pay for whatever cure is necessary. Miss Lydia has been super helpful & supportive to me through this whole situation. I'll be honest, I wasn't fully expecting all this support from complete strangers!

I've narrowed it down to one weird leg- here is a picture:

It sits on a diagonal and looks limp. Do any of you have any suggestions? After I finish my homework I might try doing an epsom salt soak with my Dad.

Thanks for all your love & support, I'll stay optimistic and keep pushing for a vet appointment.

Isabelle

Back
Top Bottom