What do I do?

niasham

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
I really need chicks BEFORE Feb of next year. I have everything ready for them too! However the Red sexed link chicks are not available from any hatcheries. Are there any other breeds like the red sexed link. I did have my heart set on these though :( They need to be quiet birds as I live in a neighborhood! Thanks,
the very disappointed farm gal.

Good news I found some from a local person. However, before I make a deal. What is a 2nd generation red star? versus a 1st generation?

I believe that the sex link characteristic in Red Sex Links does not hold up past the first generation...so if you need only pullet chicks, you couldn't be guaranteed pullets only by picking just the red chicks.

I believe that the sex link characteristic in Red Sex Links does not hold up past the first generation...so if you need only pullet chicks, you couldn't be guaranteed pullets only by picking just the red chicks.
That would be correct. Second generation sex-links do not breed true. So, you will not be able to sex them, however they the hens will still make excellent layers.

Back
Top Bottom