What Do I Feed A Baby Duck????

Quote:
Drat - I wonder if its mom and its sibs are still around and whether the duckling could be put back with its mom? (and watched carefully to make sure he/she was accepted back into the fold - otherwise, it's pred food)...As no one has to tell you, because you're living it!, the worst time to try to learn about caring for a new kind of being is after they've arrived. Puts you in the very difficult and time sensitive position of having to scramble like lightning to figure out what it needs... But if return to mom isn't possible, or alternatively, care by someone experienced with duckies and where it can have duck friends, then it is very kind of you to try to do right by the little munchkin and I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here. All the best.
hugs.gif

JJ

Quote:
If your feed contains Amprolium, Which i't probably does, I'ts completly safe for waterfowl..The Arsenical compounds that were once used as an coccidiostat in feeds were what was deadly to baby ducks/waterfowl...

I wanted to give you all an update on my little duck, I guess I should say ducks.
big_smile.png
I called hubby last Sunday and told him I had to find some food for this little guy, and it wasn't going to work poor little duck being all alone. So hubby went back to were our friend got the duck and got the food the little guy was used to, plus brought home 2 of his siblings:
big_smile.png
Now they are so happy, they actually spent there first day outside today in what I call there playpen. I sat the little pen inside the chicken run, so they had the chickens and the geese for company all day: I brought them back inside for the night, they are tired but happy

i always feed my ducks purina medicated chicken starter feed. My feed store talked to the purina rep and they assured them and me that it was fine. Also have a old breeder out here that uses it for the ducklings.

Pine Grove is right...

I feed Buckeye feed and they say to start ducks on there Buckeye 21% Broiler Starterand it is medicated......

This right from there webpage...

"Duck/Geese: Feed to young ducks and geese from hatching to seven weeks of age and as a supplement to breeding birds. Baby ducks and geese which cannot consume "Big 4" because of pellet size the first week or two should be started on Buckeye 21% Broiler Starter - Finisher Crumbles. Growing ducks and geese may be supplemented with Big 4 while they graze on pasture in the outdoors. Buckeye 18% Game Bird Breeder Pellets during periods of heavy egg production are recommended. White Pekin Ducks will normally weigh between 6.7 and 7.3 lb at 7 weeks of age consuming between 18 and 20 lb of feed. This is highly variable and is highly dependent on genetics and environmental factor but is a guideline on growth and feed requirements."

http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/poultry/buckeyebig4.html

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom