I forget the brand, but mine are fed mainly layer crumble. They also get the occasional fruits, veggies, mealworms, and scratch. I provide granite grit and oyster shell for them.
Sounds like your doing a great job on feeding your flock. Only one small suggestion, have you considered NATURAL GRIT? Here’s a link that may give you some insight on saving a little money on grit 😉🐓

Only one small suggestion, have you considered NATURAL GRIT? Here’s a link that may give you some insight on saving a little money on grit

I don't see anything unnatural about buying a bag of small rocks (grit) at the store--unless you think it's unnatural to have it in the bag in the store!

If chickens have enough opportunity to pick up grit (rocks) from the ground, I agree that buying it is pointless. But some chickens are confined in a way that does not allow them to get enough grit unless it is provided.

Sounds like your doing a great job on feeding your flock. Only one small suggestion, have you considered NATURAL GRIT? Here’s a link that may give you some insight on saving a little money on grit 😉🐓

Perfect. Now perhaps you could answer this...
Yea - we know that.
What I'm asking is this.
Firstly, do you specifically measure your feed ingredients, or just throw everything in?
Secondly, what percentage protein are your birds getting?
Thirdly, how much research have you done on this?
I think you would agree we wouldn't advise someone to do something unless we know it's safe.

We're still waiting on an answer for that.
I'm inclined to agree with you.

No I do not measure anything. I just mix the feed together and throw some out on the run. And yes, I know how that may feel for some chicken lovers who feed only the best highest quality feeds and measure every last grain of crumble, but for my flock, I chose a more easy going relaxed approach. Always keeping in mind the health and nutrition of my birds, of course. For example, I have a large family of 8 with 6 picky eaters that constantly have leftovers for our chickens. Yes I OCCASIONALLY feed them COOKED chicken leftovers, and even COOKED eggs 😱. This provides an extra boost of protein. Also, they are feed this game like fruits, veggies, greens from the garden, worms etc.
Here at our small and humble farm, we are all very involved with the keeping of our chickens, so we go out and watch them eat, clean their water containers etc,. I see what they eat and how they behave.

To answer a lot of people’s questions on this thread, no I do not measure. Yes there is roughly about 10-12 % protein in the mix. But I do provide supplemental foods that give them what they need. I think of it like this, we humans don’t consume the same amount of protein every single day of our lives, it’s ok to mix it up here and there. MY OPINION. Just giving y’all something to think about.🤗 always with love and kindness. Also, some people questioned the ability for my birds to digest the grains on the photo of the video I posted. The thing is, my birds have UNLIMITED amounts of natural grit to help their gizzards breakdown everything perfectly fine. I’ve never had a bird with SOUR CROP or IMPACTED CROP in years of raising chickens.

Here is the video that we are talking about in this thread 👇🏼

AND HERE IS ANOTHER VIDEO THAT MAY CLEAR SOME RELATED FEEDING QUESTIONS 👇🏼

I don't see anything unnatural about buying a bag of small rocks (grit) at the store--unless you think it's unnatural to have it in the bag in the store!

If chickens have enough opportunity to pick up grit (rocks) from the ground, I agree that buying it is pointless. But some chickens are confined in a way that does not allow them to get enough grit unless it is provided.
No I don’t mean buying grit is unnatural, all I’m saying it’s that you may save some money if you use the dirt around your property. Even for those birds that are confined . I show how I provide natural grit for my young enclosed chicks. 😊

Many rocks are soft and don't work as well grinding in the gizzard as granite does, unless you live in a place where granite exists. Here where I live it's mostly sand so I do buy a bag of granite now and then for the birds. If you don't give them grains and seeds then there is no need for the grit. It's goes into the gizzard so the birds can grind up the seed and grains. I do put it in their feeders and they take what they want as well as oyster shells but they do get treats fairly often.

Many rocks are soft and don't work as well grinding in the gizzard as granite does, unless you live in a place where granite exists. Here where I live it's mostly sand so I do buy a bag of granite now and then for the birds. If you don't give them grains and seeds then there is no need for the grit. It's goes into the gizzard so the birds can grind up the seed and grains. I do put it in their feeders and they take what they want as well as oyster shells but they do get treats fairly often.
Well if your soil is mostly sand, then yes I can understand why you have to buy grit. 😊 I’m just trying to encourage or at the very least inform new chicken keepers to use what they have available to them . Nothing wrong with store bought grit. But if we can save a few dollars , why not. 😊

Here is the video that we are talking about in this thread
Ah now looking again and actually reading the title, I see why the video will draw a lot of debate. At the moment, it's a bit misleading because it's touting your mix as the "best". Maybe if the title was changed so it reflects that's it's how you feed your flock, or maybe add in your video that this type of feeding is suited to free range chickens, and not for birds who are kept in a run. I know a lot of youtube videos out there involving fun and food use the word "best" but those are circumstances where it's okay to be subjective. Unfortunately poultry nutrition is a science. It does not allow for that degree of subjectivity where claims of the "best" will go unscrutinized. I see why there would be concern with the current wording, because people who don't know any better might accidentally subject their flock to malnutrition upon taking your advice, believing it to be the best option for their birds. Making videos is fun! but if you offer advice, especially where animal lives are involved, responsible content tends to get more views.

Ah now looking again and actually reading the title, I see why the video will draw a lot of debate. At the moment, it's a bit misleading because it's touting your mix as the "best". Maybe if the title was changed so it reflects that's it's how you feed your flock, or maybe add in your video that this type of feeding is suited to free range chickens, and not for birds who are kept in a run. I know a lot of youtube videos out there involving fun and food use the word "best" but those are circumstances where it's okay to be subjective. Unfortunately poultry nutrition is a science. It does not allow for that degree of subjectivity where claims of the "best" will go unscrutinized. I see why there would be concern with the current wording, because people who don't know any better might accidentally subject their flock to malnutrition upon taking your advice, believing it to be the best option for their birds. Making videos is fun! but if you offer advice, especially where animal lives are involved, responsible content tends to get more views.
I can understand what your saying 🤔. The word BEST can be an issue. I’ll consider changing the tittle. Thank you! What would you suggest as a tittle?

Back
Top Bottom