In my opinion, everyone is different with different situations. What works best for one may not work as well for another. There are a lot of variables such as the size of the flock or flocks.. I usually have around 200 birds and after hatching season, around 500. I go through around a half of ton of feed a month. I realize that most people aren't like me and their situations are quite different, that makes us all unique in our own ways.

I just watched your video, and if i mathed correctly (my math is terrible), protein levels of your mix is about 10%?Is that enough? I keep reading that for adult birds, protein needs to be at 16% or something. My birds are still young (15wo), so I haven’t switched out of grower food yet, I’m currently using a 20% because my guineas needed the extra protein.
Thanks for watching!
The chicken scratch has 8%, the hay pellets have 16% and the wild bird seeds have 7%.

I feed my birds pellets and have had no problems. Some chickens are pretty smart but still have a pea for a brain. Originally many years ago I fed crumbles and they wasted that more than the pellets. I do have 40# hanging feeders in my coops. The store I originally bought my feed closed and the owner passed away. I had to find another feed store. I had to change brands of feed because of what they carried at the new place. At first the birds kind of ignored it but some did peck at it some. They did eventually eat it and did from that point on. Some chickens aren't fond of changes but usually come around after awhile. I didn't have any birds that starved to death.
I tried switching my feed a few w years back. I wanted to feed them layer pellets but they did not like them at all. I’d throw them around in the morning like I always do, and instead of going crazy for eating time like they tend to do, they’d peck a few times and walk away. It was the weirdest thing. This mix that I do now seems to be enough nutrients (along with kitchen scraps and eggs shells and oyster shells) to make them lay well and produce hard shelled eggs too. I understand that not everyone is a fan of the mix I shared on the video I posted in this thread, but I was only sharing what works for MY FLOCK. 😊

Yep! it started out with one but the others saw how much she was enjoying them and decided to join in. Sorry we disagree but that's just the way it is! And like I said, I have happy chickens! :)
I love conversations like this! Where people are able to agree to disagree on certain topics without bashing each other. Although I would have handled this situation differently, it’s your flock and only you know what’s best. 😊👍🏼

I forget the brand, but mine are fed mainly layer crumble. They also get the occasional fruits, veggies, mealworms, and scratch. I provide granite grit and oyster shell for them.

Thanks for watching!
The chicken scratch has 8%, the hay pellets have 16% and the wild bird seeds have 7%.

that would be...

(8+16+7)/3
=31/3
= around 10%

...I think (presuming a 1:1:1 ratio mix 😅)

It looks like your birds are happy free rangers, so maybe they’re getting the extra protein from the bugs 😆

that would be...

(8+16+7)/3
=31/3
= around 10%

...I think (presuming a 1:1:1 ratio mix 😅)

It looks like your birds are happy free rangers, so maybe they’re getting the extra protein from the bugs 😆
They do free range and eat lots of kitchen scraps lol 😆.

Thanks for watching!
Yea - we know that.
What I'm asking is this.
Firstly, do you specifically measure your feed ingredients, or just throw everything in?
Secondly, what percentage protein are your birds getting?
Thirdly, how much research have you done on this?
I think you would agree we wouldn't advise someone to do something unless we know it's safe.

I did research this several years ago. Since I go through so much feed, it wasn't economical for me since I go through around a half ton (1,000 lbs) of feed a month. I was planning on growing what I needed but decided against it. They still get grains and seeds, grass clippings. I have way too many birds to give them vegie scraps and which coop to give them to. When The grass stops growing they get alfalfa. My land is mostly open pasture with very few trees. I have let the birds out to free range but they don't stay out long before they go back into their nice large shaded pens. This picture is a few years old. The trees in the pens are larger now.
Home.jpg

Back
Top Bottom