What do I feed my chicks to fatten up them??

Tartannik

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Wet Argyll, Scotland
Just wondering what to feed my little chickies that are going to be dinner in a few months time???
I am presuming its chick crumb when they are born?? MY chick crumb I had already had to be thrown in the bin so they are on oatmeal at the minute until the crumb arrives. Is this ok?? I then need to buy a 'growers' one?? I read somewhere that turkey grower is a good thing to feed your chickens if you are fattening them, is this a good idea??
What does everyone else do??

My poultry store recommended turkey grower but apparently meat starter and meat finisher are virtually the same as well. I finished mine on meat starter and the little guys had heaps of meat. Only 3 weeks, as well on the feed from malnourished.

Turkey grower is 24% protein. I fed mine a 24% protein feed for the first 5 or 6 weeks then backed them down to a 20% protien for the remainder -- another 5 weeks. I fed the 24% protein feed right from the get go. I used all non-medicated feed. Good luck and have fun raising them!

I guess I didn't notice if they were starters or finishers. I just went on the protein content.

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't think we get meat starter or finisher here, what actually is it??

I'm sorry I will have to check for you, I'm not sure. It's a high protein feed, I know that. 22% I think? I think grower was 24% and finisher was also 22% but I don't know what that is in America! D: D:

Back
Top Bottom