What do I have here with picture.... Please

BHep

Crowing
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Faison, NC
My children were gifted these two pigeons. Can anyone tell me what kind of pigeons these are and any information you can give would be great.

Thank you!

72330_piggies.jpg

omg, i ♥ the andalusian colored one... (i hope that's what it's called LOL...)

i have a brown lahore male paired up with a black nun male... right now they are my broody boys sitting on an egyptian swift egg...

My Lahores! Does the male (lighter one) have a black band on its leg? I believe he was an 04 bird. His name was Streak. The hen was his daughter and she had PMV when she was younger. Still had frequent twitches after she got over the virus. Couldn't get her to lay anything after that, and I needed to make some room, so I swapped them for some guinea keets at one of the Statesville NCPoultry meets. You have no idea how bad I miss them
sad.png
They were big ole teddy bears. As soon as I saw the picture I knew they had to be mine. If not, they would make twins to mine.

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW.....yup! I just checked and Streak has a leg band. And yes , the black & white shivers! LOL This is sooo weird. !!!
clap.gif
Please know they are going to be very well cared for and spoiled. I have bought several chicks & geese from someone , we went there on Sat. to pick up 2 goslings. Came home with 4 goslings, the pigeons & a dozen hatching eggs.
lol.png

My children saw the pigeons and thought they looked like pequins, they scooped them up for snuggling and the lady said they could have them, she needs to make room also.
I have never owned pigeons, just lots of other kinds of birds.

I went to the feed store yesterday and got them proper pigeon feed, I had given them chicken feed & parakeet feed on Sat & Sun. They are not too picky
big_smile.png

So what kinds of treats can they have. There is no stickey here for info.

Also what size coop? They are in a small cage now. I wanted to make sure they are healthy. I have a coop for them in the barn. It is 4x8 but is only 3 ft tall. Will that do? Or should I make them a new one? Can they live with chickens??? Really I know nothing about them.... do they even fly??? I know that is a crazy question, but they just walk around, they are so calm.... They don't even try to fly away. !

Any info would be great ....thanks !

I am glad they have a nice home!
smile.png
If you ever need to rehome them for some reason, I can take them back
smile.png
We have a lot more room now. I've been wanting more Lahores but they are difficult to find locally without having them shipped in. The guys I knew with the before got out of the breed
sad.png

They don't fly much. If you let them out, they'll fly to the ground, to the roof, etc. They are kinda slow from being so big
tongue.png
The 4x8 coop sounds perfect for them! And yes, they can live with chickens as long as everyone has their own perching space and there's plenty of food and water to avoid fighting. Some chickens are just mean in general, but the calmer ones don't give a hoot if pigeons are near them
lol.png

As far as treats go, pigeons love safflower and PEANUTS! Peanuts are their favorite treat ever. Raw of course. Spanish peanuts are best because they are a little smaller and more pigeon-bite-sized than other varieties.

Thanks for all the info.

Streak escaped yesterday when I opened the cage to change their water, he spent 2 plus hours up on roof, then flew down to the porch, right next to his cage and my mom walked over and picked him right up and put him back.
big_smile.png
he had a grand Ol' time
lol.png

I do plan to let them out but was told I should wait about a month. Plus I want to set them up in the barn, there are lots of beams and a loft area. I thought that would give them pleny of places to hang out. Or they can go on the barn roof. They will stay close to home right ???????

I will have them in their own coop so no worries with the chickens. I just wanted to make sure they couldn't give each other any diseases etc. My chickens are wormed 2x year since they freerange and checked regularly for lice/mites. Do pigeons need any worming or anything ?

I can find very little info on Lahores
hu.gif

And I gave them some peanuts after Streak came home, they were happy birds
smile.png

Quote:
They are pretty slow
sad.png

If they are allowed to get on the ground and pick around, then yes they'll need to be wormed. Just worm them when you worm your chickens and they'll be fine
smile.png
As long as your chickens are healthy, these guys should be too.

And yes, they'll stay close to home
smile.png
It's good to keep them in for a month, so they'll get used to everything and won't be quite as confused when they come out.

Thanks so much for all the info. They are very friendly. So today they move to the barn. I have had them under my carport but I need them to learn that the barn is home.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom