1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do I need to add to my corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country Parson, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I got several hundred lbs of free cracked corn. To utilize this as a standard feed, I will need to add stuff. The local feed mill will sell me soy meal (47% protein) for about $19.50/lbs. I figure to add 300lbs of cracked corn to bring the protein level to 17% for my layers, and a little less to get 20% for my meaties.

But I've never mixed feed before. Anything else I need to mix in? I already feed their eggshells back to them. They get table scraps and free range for at least a couple hours each day (often all day).

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    A lot of folks who mix their own put in millet and wheat also. I would make the corn about a quarter of the mixture. I know corn is a large part of the bought stuff but I'm just not a big fan of a lot of corn. Just to much sugar and starch. But that's just me.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html

I like this website a lot!

By the way, my organic chick starter that I am feeding right now is just corn and roasted soy (must be roasted or it is poisonous), with added vitamins.

See my BYC page for what I feed to older chickens if interested!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with this...if you are to use the corn long term I'd definitely think about adding some other things. Good point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by