What do I need to care for only ONE week old chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sofi, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Sofi

Sofi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    I was offered a one week old silver laced Polish chick. I am in need of a white egg layer and I love the crazy look of this breed. However, I've never raised chicks.. I only have pullets ranging from 4 to 6 months in age.

I do have a lamp, a cardboard box and feed.... Do I really need to get anything else?

Is it OK to raise just ONE chick?

When would she be ready to join the rest of the girls??

I really wanna take her :)

Thanks,

Lulu

2. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    she would be pretty lonely...

Hmm, lets see what the others think.

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    You said that you have feed. Do you have a feeder and waterer? You will need MANY rolls of paper towels (to use as a brooder liner). Pine shavings (use shavings after about 1 - 2 weeks of using the paper towels). You need a small roost to put in the brooder for her to start sleeping on when she is about a month old - maybe a little younger. Having a thermometer in the brooder will help when you have to start lowering the temp.
    She would be very lonely. Maybe you could get some more chicks her age? Having other chickens her age would help a lot when you start integrating her into your current flock. You can start introducing them to your other chickens when the chicks are about the same size as the mature hens in your flock.
    I hope you can take her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by