What do I need to do about my hens feathers?

Jan 14, 2018
Monks Corner SC
The roosters have been tearing up her skin. I put her in a separate cage to keep her safe. She’s has had this issue like 6 months ago and hasn’t had a molt. I’ve been researching some ideas... so I’ve found a bottle of poultry booster and I have used it for 2 weeks now. I’m starting to see a change in her feathers. She has some grey feathers that are growing and I’m guessing they are baby feathers. What should I do to the flight feathers? Do I pluck them?

Attachments

• D922D52E-C7EA-4265-BD88-18DD76FECCBD.jpeg
    D922D52E-C7EA-4265-BD88-18DD76FECCBD.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 14
They will probably all grow back.
I know one time my dog ripped all of my chickens feathers out an there was only a couple left and i kept her in a cage for about a couple of days with food and water and I put her back in the pen with my other chickens and all of my chickens attacked her but they really don't anymore.

I know one time my dog ripped all of my chickens feathers out an there was only a couple left and i kept her in a cage for about a couple of days with food and water and I put her back in the pen with my other chickens and all of my chickens attacked her but they really don't anymore.
I’m sorry to hear about that. I’m glad that everything is fine now. Thanks for the advice.

Looks like she is having difficulty molting. Try some extra protein in her feed. And keep her separate.
I’ve changed feed before and nothing worked. So I stuck with the 22% protein with pellets. I’ve researched and researched on what to do,but can’t find anything that will help. She’s only a year and half old and has never had her molt yet. I’ve been giving her some leftover eggs that I cook and give her that extra protein. I want my hen healthy again:(

The roosters have been tearing up her skin. I put her in a separate cage to keep her safe. She’s has had this issue like 6 months ago and hasn’t had a molt. I’ve been researching some ideas... so I’ve found a bottle of poultry booster and I have used it for 2 weeks now. I’m starting to see a change in her feathers. She has some grey feathers that are growing and I’m guessing they are baby feathers. What should I do to the flight feathers? Do I pluck them?

I’ve changed feed before and nothing worked. So I stuck with the 22% protein with pellets. I’ve researched and researched on what to do,but can’t find anything that will help. She’s only a year and half old and has never had her molt yet. I’ve been giving her some leftover eggs that I cook and give her that extra protein. I want my hen healthy again:(
Can you post some pictures of all of her?

You mention you want her healthy again - is she sick? Not eating/drinking, lethargic?

Feather loss and damage from roosters(?how many roosters/hens do you have?) will for the most part be repaired once a hen molts. She has not molted yet. I see intact feather shafts in the skin. Once she molts, then her feathers should be back to "normal".

A change in feed it not going to make her molt or grow new feathers.

I would not pluck any feathers, you will just have to be patient.

Do you have any other hens that are suffering damage?

Back
Top Bottom