What do I need to know before buying Ducks?

LeviParker

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Oklahoma
I am interested in ducks. I don't know all the details about care and how easy or difficult it is to take care of them. Please give any and all input so I can understand this animal better before purchasing them!! we have a pond that they can stay on, but until they are big enough to fly and swim we would have to keep them protected right? the house is between 50-100 yards away from the pond. would they sleep at the house and then travel to the pond in the day as adults?

some other questions:

can I train them to stay somewhere at night and allow them to free range in the day like chickens?

will they fly away in the winter? If so, how do I keep them around?

what do you feed ducks?

will they tear up a garden?

is there any success with floating duck house?

Thank you for your help!!!

I am interested in ducks. I don't know all the details about care and how easy or difficult it is to take care of them. Please give any and all input so I can understand this animal better before purchasing them!! we have a pond that they can stay on, but until they are big enough to fly and swim we would have to keep them protected right? the house is between 50-100 yards away from the pond. would they sleep at the house and then travel to the pond in the day as adults?

some other questions:

can I train them to stay somewhere at night and allow them to free range in the day like chickens?

what do you feed ducks?

Thank you for your help!!!

Hello! Ducks are great pets, if you're ready to take care of them. Here's one thing I noticed right away, though: Most domestic ducks can't fly. Some of them can, like the Mallard duck and maybe the Khaki Campbell, but the majority don't fly. Now, to answer your questions:

It's recommended that you build somewhere stable for your ducks to stay in at night, that predators would be hard-pressed to get into. Personally, I don't free range my ducks; they get let out only when we are home - but there are people who free range them like chickens.

I've never owned ducks that could fly, and there are varying opinions on this. Some duck owners clip wings, to prevent them from flying off. Others let the ducks fly, and because the ducks are domesticated, and their food, water, and buddies are all in one place, they won't fly away. However, I have heard of ducks flying off. Lol you might want to get another opinion on this one.

what do you feed ducks?
The same thing you feed chickens! When they are ducklings, they'll eat unmedicated chick starter. Eventually, they progress to grower and layer feeds too. Ducklings need more niacin than chicks, so provide brewer's yeast with their meals.

I'll try to answer some more later; right now I have to go though. Hope I helped!

Hello! Ducks are great pets, if you're ready to take care of them. Here's one thing I noticed right away, though: Most domestic ducks can't fly. Some of them can, like the Mallard duck and maybe the Khaki Campbell, but the majority don't fly. Now, to answer your questions:

It's recommended that you build somewhere stable for your ducks to stay in at night, that predators would be hard-pressed to get into. Personally, I don't free range my ducks; they get let out only when we are home - but there are people who free range them like chickens.

I've never owned ducks that could fly, and there are varying opinions on this. Some duck owners clip wings, to prevent them from flying off. Others let the ducks fly, and because the ducks are domesticated, and their food, water, and buddies are all in one place, they won't fly away. However, I have heard of ducks flying off. Lol you might want to get another opinion on this one.

what do you feed ducks?
The same thing you feed chickens! When they are ducklings, they'll eat unmedicated chick starter. Eventually, they progress to grower and layer feeds too. Ducklings need more niacin than chicks, so provide brewer's yeast with their meals.

I'll try to answer some more later; right now I have to go though. Hope I helped!

I'm back!
tongue.png

Eh. It depends on how many ducks you have, and how long they are in the garden for. They will probably forage around in it, though, esp if there are fruits/veggies. Duckies love to eat!

I saw a thread on this a while back... It'll bug me until I found out where lol! I'll try and do some digging for ya
wink.png

I have three Pekin ducks and 6 hens. They all have to be kept in a predator proof place at night. The hens naturally go to roost, but the ducks don't. The ducks are easily "herdable" and go to bed with a treat. Ducks do not sleep at night like hens, so I separate the hens and ducks in their night pen. Ducks lay eggs about 7am, and prefer the ground to a nest box, although they lay in their nest box occasionally. The ducks start a strange hum like an engine running as soon as the morning light comes up and they are frantic to be let out to free range. If your pond is large, and they can't fly, they are at risk of predator attacks. Many of the Ducks in rescue have severe damage from snapping turtles breaking their beaks or damaging their legs. Yes, they will damage the yard/garden. My 6 hens have not done damage, but I lost the grass to the duck s in 6 months.
I adore my ducks and would recommend them. I'm happy to see you're doing your homework.

I am really wanting ducks as well, and I have one more question: Are ducks friendly? I think they are, but my dad needs more info on this subject. He thinks that ducks don't want to be handled/ touched. Do you disagree?

ducks are prey.
you are big
they often think you are a predator out to eat them

but you can work with that. Spend lots of time with them on their level and let them come to you. Bribe them. They love peas. They may eventually just see you as a food source or the carrier of peas, but whatever, they will come to you.

Back
Top Bottom