What do I put in a Dusting box?

crazychickens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 19, 2008
Belleville, Wisconsin
Im sorry if this is a dumb question? My hens come up to the side on my house and dig a little hole in the sandy dirt, then they take turns, sitting in it and flapping there wings. They cover themself in sandy dirt! So do I need a dusting box? How big should it be?
What do I put in it.
idunno.gif

I dont want them to look dirty like they do now.
3 of them are fat Lt. Brahmas that can bearly fit in the nesting boxes. Please help. Thanks for the help with my crazy chickens and my huddy will be happy when they stop making holes beside our house foundation.

Well you need the dirt!
big_smile.png

If digging holes in the yard isn't a problem, let them go for it - mine dig their holes in their run - big enough to fit three or four of them in at a time.....
gig.gif

I do throw the DE in now and then.... but the dirt will come off and they'll be nice and clean again!

For times when it is wet and cold I have a small wading pool in my main house. I fill it with dry playsand and mix in a little DE. All around the outside of the pool I have it nestled to rim in pine shavings. My chickens love it. Especially when it is super hot in the summer with the fans blowing in the main house, they dust and lay in the breeze of the fan.

I found a bag of sandbox sand and a plastic tub. I'll go in monday and buy a bag of DE. How much DE do I put in the tub? I have a 25 lbs bag of sand. 50/50 sound good? So are you guys telling me my birds have bugs?

I tried to check them today, it did'nt go so well.

Have you ever tried to put a 12 lb Brahma on her back so you could look between her legs?

I dont know what I'm doing, first time with chickens.

No it doesn't mean they have bugs - they just like to do it and it actually keeps them clean.

I htink 50/50 is too much DE.

I don't know how much I actually use - cause my girls do their thing outside, but I throw in a cup full everynow and then.

You only need about 1/4 cup of DE to a bag of sand, maybe less. Make sure the DE bag says Codex Grade Fossil Shell Flour. Anything else is poison!

gig.gif
Missprissy measures everything.... I really SHOULD pay more attention.

Missprissy - see I cook the same way - just throw it in and then I can't reproduce the good dinners..
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom