1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do Lady Amherst Like to eat?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by DUccleDude, May 25, 2008.

1. DUccleDude

DUccleDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    I bought a pair of Lady Amherst about 2 weeks ago and they are eating game bird pellets just fine, but I was hoping to spoil them with some treats. What should I give them for treats? [​IMG]

2. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    A variety of fruit is good every other day if not daily - grapes, apples and citrus are faves of mine. Mealworms once a week; wild bird seed mix with sunflowers & millet every couple of days.

If you have access to a heavily wooded area, go get a few trash bags full of "forest litter" and dump in their aviary. The leaves, twigs, acorns and debris help to simulate a natural environ and they love to scratch through it and pick out ticks, other bugs and acorns.

Dan

3. DUccleDude

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    Thanx abunch Dan! I live in a heavily wooded area and I will give it a try. Shane

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  4. Dewey101

Dewey101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    yea, feed them 28% feed at all times, healthy bird and later on healthy chicks. Have a couple plants in the cage to peck at!!! Have plenty of roosts for them!! Just give them some fruits like strawberrys grapes and such

5. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:28% a little high in protein and cash for feeding all the time, wouldn't go that route for adult birds.

DUccleDude - Some other items I failed to mention in my first post - hard-boiled eggs, I usually give them once a week as well as boiled sweet potato or carrots. I've had galliformes eat softbill diet, waterfowl pellets, pinky mice, etc. Variety is the spice of life!!

An interesting post on pheasant nutrition & diets - http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2980

Dan

6. DUccleDude

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    I just gave them a hand full of my parrots food and they loved it. Thanx again for all your ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by