What do Lady Amherst Like to eat?

DUccleDude

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Cameron Mills, NY
I bought a pair of Lady Amherst about 2 weeks ago and they are eating game bird pellets just fine, but I was hoping to spoil them with some treats. What should I give them for treats?
pop.gif

A variety of fruit is good every other day if not daily - grapes, apples and citrus are faves of mine. Mealworms once a week; wild bird seed mix with sunflowers & millet every couple of days.

If you have access to a heavily wooded area, go get a few trash bags full of "forest litter" and dump in their aviary. The leaves, twigs, acorns and debris help to simulate a natural environ and they love to scratch through it and pick out ticks, other bugs and acorns.

Dan

yea, feed them 28% feed at all times, healthy bird and later on healthy chicks. Have a couple plants in the cage to peck at!!! Have plenty of roosts for them!! Just give them some fruits like strawberrys grapes and such

Quote:
28% a little high in protein and cash for feeding all the time, wouldn't go that route for adult birds.

DUccleDude - Some other items I failed to mention in my first post - hard-boiled eggs, I usually give them once a week as well as boiled sweet potato or carrots. I've had galliformes eat softbill diet, waterfowl pellets, pinky mice, etc. Variety is the spice of life!!

An interesting post on pheasant nutrition & diets - http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2980

Dan

Back
Top Bottom