1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do lice and mites look like?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by katmae77, Aug 25, 2007.

1. katmae77

katmae77 Out Of The Brooder

One of my chickens has little tannish tiny bugs crawling on the shafts of it's feathers. Is this a mite or lice? I dusted them with de. Do I need seven dust too?

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
  3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Brownish bugs are mites, lice are cream or whitish.

I had a real problem with them a few years ago and they are a pain to get rid of. I used Eprinex which is a cattle wormer and Pyrethrin dust.

Keep in mind that mites can survive for a time off the host and may hide in the coop so spread some dust around the roosts and in the nest boxes too.

Hopefully you've caught it early and it won't be a big problem.[​IMG]

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    is it a thing that MOST chickens will get? I check my guys ( random selection) normally twice per week and i havent seen any at all so far. Should i be sevin dusting them anyway?

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't dust unless you actually see bugs.

It certainly isn't inevitable. My chickens got them from the pine tree in their yard that the sparrows live in. They can also be carried in on bales of hay or straw if it's stored in a barn where wild birds nest.

Basically they need to catch it from somewhere, either wild birds or newly introduced chickens that aren't inspected and treated before being added to the flock.

Checking them twice a week is great! I'm sure you'll spot them if they do get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by