What do many here hatching do with all the chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickedydoodaa, Feb 22, 2009.

1. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I am curious in regard to space, the keeping of chicken 'laws' etc, what does everyone do with all these new born chicks? Where do you keep them if local 'laws' don't allow? basements? spare rooms in the house? There are a lot of hatches taking place, some in large numbers! Perhaps most of you are fortunate enough to live on a lot of land, a farm perhaps?

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    well i keep them inside till i get them sold, and then the ones i do not want to sell i put in my flock, when they are 8 weeks old

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I used to hatch to build my flock to a certain point. I have several roosters but have re-homed many. Now, I'm hatching to build a high quality Delaware flock and for someone who wanted a few Blue Orp and Barred Rock chicks. I live in an agricultural/rural area and have no restrictions against chickens.
    I dont hatch just to hatch because I dont have facilities to house many ages of chicks, though I do live on over 5 acres.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I love on a farm so space isn't an issue with me.

ETA: I take my extras to a local poultry auction to sell.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I only have a quarter acre so Im incubating and will sell or give away all but 8 which will replace my 2 yo girls

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

We're still enlarging our own flock, branching out into some breeding and selling chicks and laying hens. So far, we don't have any population problem but I don't think people around here will quit buying chickens anytime soon.

7. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I keep my favorites and sell the rest or trade.
    Currently, I am working on adding a couple breeds to my flock so have a full incubator with 3 additional breeds.
    I will take extras to the swap meet or sell them off.

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am keeping a couple & the others I just posted an ad on Craig's List & they are spoken for already! They just hatched today, yesterday & the day before.

9. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    I'm hatching to grow/ replace the chickens lost in last nights coop massacre... 12 dead and 6 still missing. got 16 in the brooder and 37 more in the bator...

10. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Surprisingly, chickens actually don't take up much room. I have 4 hens in a 12 sq. ft. coop (I know a little small, but we live in Texas so they don't go in the coop except at night), with a 60 sq. ft. run. The coop is raised so they only take up a 6x10 section of the backyard. Pretty good when you think about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by