What do people do with extra males

danielb1990

Chirping
Mar 11, 2018
Hi another question while my eggs hatch
What do people do with there extra males do they kill them or sell to others etc

Also can you keep multiple males together eg if i brought a 3x2m pen (around 9x6ft) can i keep multiple males and females (like 3 groups of 1 male-4 female) if they each have a corner house area etc

If we’re talking about chickens and the 3x2 would be a run, you’d only fit 5 chickens in there with a minimum of 10sqft each. You can keep multiple males together, but in an enclosed run, I don’t think I would keep more than 2 cockerels together, if free ranging, then I’d have more cockerels. You do run the risk of a few fights over the hens. Hen to cockerel ratio is completely dependant on the cockerels’ temperament, I personally, wouldn’t keep less than 6 hens per. You can keep trios, pairs, quads, but, in my opinion, that’s only for if you’re breeding them. You can cull, eat, give away or sell extra cockerels. Or you can keep them as a cockerel flock, meaning they have no hens and are kept as an all boys group.
At a bare minimum chickens need 4sqft per in the coop and 10sqft per in the run.

Welcome! Boy have you opened a can of worms with these questions.:lau
You will get lots of different advice and opinions on this topic. Best I can say on that is to do what suits you and yours best.
On that note... I will sell or butcher my excess roos. You can probably keep them in your set up the way you described if there is enough run space for every one. However, some roos are great and get along nicely, others are just down right mean and nasty to everyone. You'll have to just give it a try and see how it goes. Mine free range 24/7 all together. But, I have lots of roaming space for them. I get the occasional little tussle amongst them but no real issues. I've been lucky! But I currently have about 20 roos ready for selling or freezer camp as soon as it's warm enough for me do so.
Good luck with your new adventure... I hope it works out well the you are planning!:fl:fl:fl

If we’re talking about chickens and the 3x2 would be a run, you’d only fit 5 chickens in there with a minimum of 10sqft each. You can keep multiple males together, but in an enclosed run, I don’t think I would keep more than 2 cockerels together, if free ranging, then I’d have more cockerels. You do run the risk of a few fights over the hens. Hen to cockerel ratio is completely dependant on the cockerels’ temperament, I personally, wouldn’t keep less than 6 hens per. You can keep trios, pairs, quads, but, in my opinion, that’s only for if you’re breeding them. You can cull, eat, give away or sell extra cockerels. Or you can keep them as a cockerel flock, meaning they have no hens and are kept as an all boys group.
At a bare minimum chickens need 4sqft per in the coop and 10sqft per in the run.
Pretty sure the OP was talking about quail. :pop

If you are keeping more than one male per enclosure the birds will need more space than the 1sq/ft per bird (I'd at least double that) so they can get away from each other. The more space the better and with 'furniture' so there are lots of hiding places. Your 3 groups would be a good number for that sized cage. I'd do at least 4 females per male and you will need a hospital cage or two in case someone gets beat up.

You'll have to observe how your males interact with the females and with each other and I'd only keep your most docile ones. Females can be just as aggressive as males and even when raised together you occasionally get a couple of birds who just don't get along. So do lots of observing to ensure one bird isn't being picked on. You'll need multiple feeding stations too.

Males can be kept in a bachelor pad but again they need more space.

Back
Top Bottom