1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do people do with pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Huskerchickens, May 24, 2011.

1. Huskerchickens

Huskerchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    All,
    I'm pretty new to the chicken game and I'm currently using pine wood shavings in my coop. I'm curious as to what others who use wood shavings do with them after a clean out. I'm not very experienced with compost, and I'm not sure if it's too much wood to try and turn into compost/fertilizer. I'm also guessing there's not an easy way to seperate out the droppings from the shavings to reduce some of the volume.

I've also seen lots of posts where people were incredibly happy with switching to sand, so maybe I should go that route when I use up the last of my shavings? Thanks!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I toss the shavings right into the compost pile, which consists exclusively of shavings, droppings and lawn clippings. It's a dream in the garden every year!

3. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I throw mine in my compost pile. Makes for some great composting material!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I just take the shavings or the straw out to the garden and pile it up on one end.

In fall and early spring, I spread them out and till them in. I don't sweat it and don't do "conventional" composting at all. I've got a million other things to do. I can tell you that the chicken litter makes wonderful, natural soil amendment and grows vegetables very well.

5. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Quote:You don't stick your kitchen scraps in there? Heck I throw all veggie/fruit scraps, egg shells and coffee grounds in there. The smaller the scraps the faster it breaks down.

6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I toss mine along the ducks fence line, dogs fence line and the chickens run's fence line. No compost for me...just leave it out in the open...

7. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Quote:x 2 - and I have a separate composter for kitchen scraps that I also throw some used pine shavings into. All that chicken poo really heats up the compost! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Hmmm... Depends what kind of mood I'm in. [​IMG] Some of it goes into the compost pile, some of it gets tossed in the woods, and during the winter months it goes under my coop for insulation (it's an old building up on cynder blocks).

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I use mine directly around trees and under shrubs for mulch. Never had any problems with burning or odors/insects. Seems to make good fertilizer, and they break down quickly due to the droppings and the thinness of the shavings.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I put mine out in the woods where dead leaves cover the shavings pretty quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by