What do people mean by "it's animal cruelty to dye a chicken"?

Ummm....Well....er...
duc.gif

I can't see the point of trying to make a living animal look like a stuffed toy, but I can't see how dipping them in Koolaid is going to hurt them.

I suspect that the commercially dyed chicks were not dipped in Koolaid and I very much doubt that many of them lived very long before dying of inadequate care.

I love the elaborate and subtle natural colors of my birds. I have no need for a bird that looks like it is made of cheap Orlon.

You can't do this with hair dye.

86649_geese_ducks_014.jpg

The method in which the chicks and ducklings were dyed was cruel, too. They were dropped into vats of dye and a good 10%-15% would drown or die from related complications. Any dyed chicks that are sold nowadays were likely dyed by injected the dye directly into the egg around the 17th day into incubation.

Last edited:
Here in VT it's illegal to dye chickens, I assume because of the novelty factor at Easter, and because the dyes and techniques were not in the animal's best interest. We see news stories every spring about not buying chicks or ducklings as Easter gifts, so I guess it's still relevant.

I guess if you know what you are doing and causing no harm to your own pet...
idunno.gif
I wouldn't dye my cat, even if it was non toxic, just seems wrong somehow.

Not my thing, but my chickens are livestock, not pets. To each their own I guess!

The chick factor I'm aware of. I don't approve of chicks being sold for novelty purposes or being dyed for novelty purposes. Or any animals being sold (or given away) like that.

I love that showgirl! Very pretty!
If I had a white cat or dog.... Blue tipped ears, blue tipped paws and tail..
love.gif

We spray paint goats and sheep at work and basically superglue tags to the backs of all the other livestock so I see no harm in using non toxic dye on animals, I think some of the hair cuts i've seen on small dogs are more cruel than a little koolaid or food coloring. I do agree that doing it for buyer appeal is wrong. I worked in a pet store for 3 years and I felt bad selling most of the hampsters we did. People need to do more research than they do before buying any animal. I researched on animals there's a slim chance I'll ever own, for a week or two each just to past my spare time, but if I do, I know, and if some else has a question or interest, I know.

Quote:
This is how I feel also. The dying of an embryo I feel is very wrong. To dye a hatched bird with non chemicals is just fine as long as the bird doesn't have a problem with the bath part. My sizzle George loves a bath. She dunks her head in the water like a duck. I dyed her hot pink around Easter. I had no intention of coloirng her head but she dunked it several times and she was completely hot pink, beak, comb earlobes, toes and feathers. She's still pink and has feathers under her wings that are still hot pink. I asked her if she wanted a bath today and she jumped in my lap. I really think she was ready for a bath. She loves it and falls asleep during the blow dry. Then struts around in her nice clean feathers for all to see. Jumps around and is just a DIVA. You would have to know George to understand. She lives in the house, defleas the dogs and keeps them in line, she eats pizza and lets me know if she runs out of food or water by squawking and tapping on the empty container. If she wants her tray changes she stomps on the floor, and sqawkes.

Yep, she's spoiled.

Quote:
This is how I feel also. The dying of an embryo I feel is very wrong. To dye a hatched bird with non chemicals is just fine as long as the bird doesn't have a problem with the bath part. My sizzle George loves a bath. She dunks her head in the water like a duck. I dyed her hot pink around Easter. I had no intention of coloirng her head but she dunked it several times and she was completely hot pink, beak, comb earlobes, toes and feathers. She's still pink and has feathers under her wings that are still hot pink. I asked her if she wanted a bath today and she jumped in my lap. I really think she was ready for a bath. She loves it and falls asleep during the blow dry. Then struts around in her nice clean feathers for all to see. Jumps around and is just a DIVA. You would have to know George to understand. She lives in the house, defleas the dogs and keeps them in line, she eats pizza and lets me know if she runs out of food or water by squawking and tapping on the empty container. If she wants her tray changes she stomps on the floor, and sqawkes.

Yep, she's spoiled.

Can we see a pic of her!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom