1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do spurs look like when they are developing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bec, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I have hopefully all hens, but they are only 3 weeks today. I have read some posts and some say to start looking for the beginnings of spurs. I looked at all my babies and all of them have a little bump on the inside of their legs, but it is just that..a bump.

when should I start looking and what should it look like? I know the sexing is never 100% so there is always that possibility. IF there is a little roo..he will be staying. It's kind of like being pregnant and not know what tyou are having...lol [​IMG]

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    bout the time you figure out there roos, you notice the spurs, but hens have the same bumps as chicks

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You won't see any real spurs on the boys till they are over six months old, so never sex by that. Even hens have them. My hen Delilah's look like the erasers on top of pencils attached to her legs. Both sexes start with that little bump.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have a hen (Sicilian buttercup) that has spurs. So spurs really don't indicate sex.

5. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Our buff orps have spurs that appear to get longer as they get older, and they are (all but one, whose comb was barely pink) laying. So I don't think I'd go on the shape of a bump on the leg unless they are crowing and have beautiful curved tail feathers. [​IMG]

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Most of my roos haven't had more than bumps until the following year. My standard roo is just now getting noticeable spurs and his offspring are old enough to pick fights with him. Most of my breeds except the one set of standards I can tell the roos at around 4 weeks old by their combs.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I thought you were out of room, what did you get this time???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by