What do spurs look like when they are developing?

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
I have hopefully all hens, but they are only 3 weeks today. I have read some posts and some say to start looking for the beginnings of spurs. I looked at all my babies and all of them have a little bump on the inside of their legs, but it is just that..a bump.

when should I start looking and what should it look like? I know the sexing is never 100% so there is always that possibility. IF there is a little roo..he will be staying. It's kind of like being pregnant and not know what tyou are having...lol
tongue.png

bout the time you figure out there roos, you notice the spurs, but hens have the same bumps as chicks

You won't see any real spurs on the boys till they are over six months old, so never sex by that. Even hens have them. My hen Delilah's look like the erasers on top of pencils attached to her legs. Both sexes start with that little bump.

Our buff orps have spurs that appear to get longer as they get older, and they are (all but one, whose comb was barely pink) laying. So I don't think I'd go on the shape of a bump on the leg unless they are crowing and have beautiful curved tail feathers.
smile.png

Most of my roos haven't had more than bumps until the following year. My standard roo is just now getting noticeable spurs and his offspring are old enough to pick fights with him. Most of my breeds except the one set of standards I can tell the roos at around 4 weeks old by their combs.

Back
Top Bottom