What do the eat

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Airplaneguy57, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    We have a couple of canada geese about two months old. I feed them chick starter. Should I be feeding them something else

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

yes. you should be feeding them a waterfowl feed, 2 months (I think) is old enough for big-bird food, and you should be sure you are supplementing them with some niacin (waterfowl sometimes have problems) and not too much protein (or they will get angelwing). Also, greens. When I buy lettuce (organic romain or red leaf, not iceberg) i peel off the outer leaves that are dented and not so nice... and rinse them off and give them to my geese. THey also love peas (the round parts) and lots of other fun foods.

3. Airplaneguy57

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Well it happened. The male passed this weekend. He stopped eating and I wonder if the female was not eating out of sympathy. She walked around in a small pen we built in the yard. She could eat as much grass as she wanted. We also got some spinach and romaine. She started eating. I also put a couple of chick with her so she wouldn't be by her self. As soon as the ducks get a bit bigger I will put them together. I hate loosing little ones but sometimes it just can't be helped. By the way. We couldn't find waterfowl feed. Everyone we asked they looked like I had an arm growing out of my head.

4. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    Then try gamebird feed, that's what our guys told us. I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Other goose owners please correct me if I am wrong but I have always been told that spinach is bad for the geese. I go to my local produce market and they give me boxes of Romaine, Red Leaf, Broccoli leaves, Califlower leaves and greens but I always ask them not to put spinach in the mix. Mine won't touch waterfowl feed but love corn, scratch grains and even wild bird seed. They also graze in the yard and pond.
    I'm not saying that's what killed your goose only that this is what I have been told about spinach. I'm sorry to hear you lost him, it's good that you put others in with the female, they are social birds.

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Unless you have the proper papers (permits) you should not be feeding them anything! It could be take as baiting for the purpose of hunting.

7. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Grass, grass, grass. They are almost exclusively grass eaters, with a little grain, Styrofoam, plants they don't normally eat but you planted, electrical wiring, and lettuce.

8. Airplaneguy57

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Thanks for the advise y'all. Goose, I guess Texas is a bit different than NC. I bought these at the feed store. I ran into someone who raises them. He has about 150. We did place some newly hatched ducks with the lone goose. They are all doing good now. We make sure the get plenty of grass time. What we are expecting during the next migration north she may take flight to never return. Just part of having migratory birds.

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Sorry TEX but it isn't a state law or even a Federal law It is an International Treaty, The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. The link below will take you to the Wikipedia article about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_bird_act#Game_Birds_and_Hunted_Species

Since
    the Canana Goose have recovered enough to be pests through most of their range it is not strictly enforced but it is on the books and It only takes one Green complaint to bring the full force of the law down on you. Sorry but that is the way it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by