What do these chicks have?

a few of my chicks are lethargic, they just sit in a corner and they have some poop on their butt. One has already died. Is it coccidia?
They are with a mom, they are about 4 weeks old and there are over 20 of them with one single silkie mom, we live in south Florida so temperatures are in the 80s. They are kept outside.
Should I separate them from the mom and keep them inside with a heat lamp?
Chris, can you post a photo of their poop?

I would treat for Coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid?
If you don't, you can find it at Tractor Supply in the cattle section, it come in liquid or powder.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

It won't hurt Mom to drink the Corid if she is with them. I would treat all the chicks, make sure they are drinking well. If you have any that are lethargic and not drinking, then syringe the water into them.

Keep us posted.

upload_2019-5-20_9-24-0.png
upload_2019-5-20_9-24-11.png

I wouldn't separate the chicks from the hen.
I would treat all the chicks and mum with Corid or similar.
Check each chick and clean their bums where necessary making sure that no poop is obstructing their vents. You need to be very gentle doing this. I find bare hands are best; gloves just get in the way. Wash with plain warm water and make sure thier bums are dry before you put them back with the hen.

High temperatures can cause pasty butt.
While I do agree with you... I have been hatching and raising chicks for a while who ALWAYS have enough cool space. High temps are blamed too often for pasty butt IMO... and I have had it happen even with broody hens.

ANY stress can cause pasty butt... which could include wrong feed, being too cold, or even simply genetics... Not all birds are created equal.

I would NOT separate the chicks from their mum. I would go ahead and treat for coccidiosis... that is quite a lot of chicks... increasing the possibility. Double check water dishes and make sure they are poo free several times daily as that is how it spreads fastest.

The pick posted is JUST muddy bumm and not pasty butt as far as I can tell. But it's good to know the possibilities.

Things are so easy to miss in large groups. :barnie

:fl

Back
Top Bottom