What do they say in your neck of the woods?

We're in Alabama and we say, Breakfast, lunch, brunch, and supper/dinner.

I'd love to start having "tea" though.....sounds fancy...
love.gif

Dinner is the largest meal of the day. Back in the day when men would be out in the field from the crack of dawn until dusk, the women would prepare the heaviest meal midday, thus called dinner. The final meal was a lighter supper. Nowdays there is less dawn to dusk going on and fewer still women slaving over hot stoves all morning, but the nomenclature stuck. Truthfully, I mostly use breakfast, lunch and supper, but the family meets for Sunday dinner.
smile.png

CG (who was raised in Alabama before moving to TN)

Quote:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ayuh, we have a wicked good baked bean suppah down at the church. After that we take a walk out to the sh*ttah and head home.

We also have Bumpah Stickahs, cahs. Beareau(h) its also a chestadraws. Yeah, a dresser would get some giggles and over the eye glass' glance-
gig.gif

Up heayuh in Maine, its the pitch, tone and when to drop the r. A southern lady once asked me to say the Alphabet.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q ah S T U V duoble yah X Y Z.

uhuh, we kno just what weah talken bout. Weah not uneducamated, just not qwik talken, less't was to rain on the hay. Then thah neybuhs wud come an hep us, jus got to call um up.
My DH that comes from down state Maine get grossed out when I say "Holy Hannah, that went quicker then chyt through a tin horn". He said "just like having to get out a door with Snot on a door knob"...and still he laughs cause my reply to that was "ewww"
sickbyc.gif
. LOL. Sad ain't I!

Quote:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ayuh, we have a wicked good baked bean suppah down at the church. After that we take a walk out to the sh*ttah and head home.

We also have Bumpah Stickahs, cahs. Beareau(h) its also a chestadraws. Yeah, a dresser would get some giggles and over the eye glass' glance-
gig.gif

Up heayuh in Maine, its the pitch, tone and when to drop the r. A southern lady once asked me to say the Alphabet.

uhuh, we kno just what weah talken bout. Weah not uneducamated, just not qwik talken, less't was to rain on the hay. Then thah neybuhs wud come an hep us, jus got to call um up.
My DH that comes from down state Maine get grossed out when I say "Holy Hannah, that went quicker then chyt through a tin horn". He said "just like having to get out a door with Snot on a door knob"...and still he laughs cause my reply to that was "ewww"
sickbyc.gif
. LOL. Sad ain't I!

hahahaha ,,, ayauh ,, i tell everyone down here to take off the "E" or the "ER" and add "A" or "AH"
and EVERYONE asks me ta say watah
big_smile.png

my poor kids,,, i wont allow them ta say "ya all" or "right quick" < man i hate that...... people usta say " could you do that right quick?",, i say,,,NOPE,, im a hippie from maine,, we dont do ANYTHING "right quick" hehehe
wink.png

I've lived in a few states - on the west coast it was breakfast, lunch and dinner. In the south it was breakfast dinner and su pper. West we fed a flake of hay to the stock. In the south we fed a charge of hay. Grandpa and I used to have to sit and figure out what the other one was takling about.
lol.png

Quote:

gig.gif

sickbyc.gif
. LOL. Sad ain't I!

hahahaha ,,, ayauh ,, i tell everyone down here to take off the "E" or the "ER" and add "A" or "AH"
and EVERYONE asks me ta say watah
big_smile.png

my poor kids,,, i wont allow them ta say "ya all" or "right quick" < man i hate that...... people usta say " could you do that right quick?",, i say,,,NOPE,, im a hippie from maine,, we dont do ANYTHING "right quick" hehehe
wink.png

Hey,y'all, I'm not going to say anything about the weird way you talk---- I'm just proud your speaking English, especially in Texas.
wink.png

BTW, we say breakfast, lunch, dinner. My relatives in LA say, breakfast, dinner, supper.

Last edited:
well here in Ma we say we are goin foh coffee even though we eat eggs and toast while we're there.
Then lunch unless its sunday and then its sunday dinnah
If we go out to a restaurant its dinner if it at a home its suppah

My family are bub juckets (northern hillbilly's) so we sound kinda nasaly

this is a typical statement:
went up on the roof (long O as in hoof) ta fix the chimbley(chimney)

chainthaw(chainsaw) burrow(bureau)
wicked Pi$$ah
went to sh%t and the hogs ett im (as in: no idea where he is)
sh%t the bed (as in: broke)
you should really hear my impression of my uncle charles its hilarious.

I lived in Mi for a while and spent the whole time saying
"pahk the cah in the yahd "
just so people would leave me alone. even my friends would bug me to say it.

Back
Top Bottom