What do they say in your neck of the woods?

I grew up in Georgia and only came to Virginia when I was in my mid 30's.

I grew up using - breakfast, dinner and supper.

My kids use the word 'lunch' due to the school influence of 'going to lunch'.

most nursing homes have their biggest meal at midday ,, is easier on the stomach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Germany Lunch is the Biggest meal too !
smile.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
I love reading these. I have always found this interesting. I grew up in the midwest, spent 5 years in KY. We have kept some of our KY sayings. The first time we went to a grocery store they were calling "time for buggy roundup".. We always called them carts.
KY-having your picture made Midwest-having your picture taken
My DH's favorite - "fixin' to" - as in I'm fixin' to go to the store today.

My grandma used to say davenport for couch, bedclothes, ice box for refrigerator.

Thanks everyone for the smile first thing this morning!

Oh--I have always said breakfast, lunch, dinner. My FIL says breakfast, dinner, supper. He says lunch is just a sandwich or something like that. He cooks a complete meal every day for breakfast and dinner (lunch). So I suppose when he's in the fields, he probably takes some LUNCH with him!

Last edited:
We say Breakfast, Lunch, either Dinner or Supper.

Great Grandmothers favorite, she used the word "waist" instead of saying she had a "new blouse".

Quote:
hahahaha ,,, ayauh ,, i tell everyone down here to take off the "E" or the "ER" and add "A" or "AH"
and EVERYONE asks me ta say watah
big_smile.png

my poor kids,,, i wont allow them ta say "ya all" or "right quick" < man i hate that...... people usta say " could you do that right quick?",, i say,,,NOPE,, im a hippie from maine,, we dont do ANYTHING "right quick" hehehe
wink.png

Hey,y'all, I'm not going to say anything about the weird way you talk---- I'm just proud your speaking English, especially in Texas.
wink.png

BTW, we say breakfast, lunch, dinner. My relatives in LA say, breakfast, dinner, supper.

do ya eat all that "right quick" ? lol
wink.png

G-ma says Dinner for lunch but we say...Breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper.

My colloquial thing is Coke.....we don't say soda or pop if it's carbonated it's a coke. Somebody says "U want a coke?" then u say; "what kind do ya have?"

In Tx we always said "I'm burnin' up" In N FL they say "I'M 'bout ta heat ta death"

Someones a bit slow- "HE's just not right"

We use "Fixin' to" alot

Here we call it breakfast, lunch or dinner and supper. We go "out to lunch" and "out to dinner" for the nightime meal.

Here's another one. What does everyone called a carbonated drink? Down here everything is "coke." I've also heard that other parts of the country call it soda or pop.l

Back
Top Bottom