What do vegetarians do with unproductive laying hens?

welcome-byc.gif
You could try to give them away, many people keep chickens just to keep the bugs under control. Or keep them for yourself and give them good retirement, and they should still lay eggs every once and awhile.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ooh, the only soymilk I drink is Chocolate Silk. Always have it in the house. Love it! Nothing can beat Silk...

Ahh, and also, we found this basic recipe for banana soymilk-shakes. (Bananas+Chocolate soymilk+a few ice cubes=a VERY delicious morning!)
gig.gif
And this other one with regular soymilk and strawberries. I really enjoyed them.
droolin.gif

Quote:
Ooh, the only soymilk I drink is Chocolate Silk. Always have it in the house. Love it! Nothing can beat Silk...

Ahh, and also, we found this basic recipe for banana soymilk-shakes. (Bananas+Chocolate soymilk+a few ice cubes=a VERY delicious morning!)
gig.gif
And this other one with regular soymilk and strawberries. I really enjoyed them.
droolin.gif

EDA: And a blender is needed, as well. Don't know why I forgot that part.

I have two sets of chickens.

D'uccles=pets

Laying flock=food providers
One or two of the laying flock have became so friendly they have become pets.

My red star is a officially a pet. I've seen her fight off dogs and she follows people around. She received the name "Miss Kitty".

Pets kept forever, food providers will remain as such through eggs then meat. If you are vegetarian and do not eat the meat I would suggest giving them to someone that do not mind old hens running around or offer them up to someone that will eat them. I gave a lot of my extra roos away on freecycle and do not want to know what comes of them.

Soymilk-Something about that makes me very sickly when I tried drinking it a few times.

Last edited:
Right now I don't let my hens free-range because we have so many predators. My plan, if I can stand it, is to let them free-range when their laying gets down to the point I have to start buying eggs. My pen isn't big enough to just keep adding new birds. I'm not a vegetarian, but I would have to be starving to eat one of my girls. I figure if I let them free-range, then they can enjoy their freedom until something else eats them, however long that is. That is all assuming I can stand it. I have one particular hen that I'm very attached to and would bring her in the house if I could. I don't know if I could take seeing a hawk carry her off.

I have heard about the whole veagan thing but it wasn't until I actually had the chance to have a nice long visit with one that I understood. With me being a meatatarian it was a very interesting conversation, she was a very nice middle aged woman from California. From what I gathered from her veaganism, is that as one you deplore anything animal, you don't eat anything that has even been close to meat in the grocery store, you don't wear leather or feathers, you don't touch trees if an animal may have slept nearby, you turn your head away when an animal suddenly appears on TV, and you must verbally tongue lash anybody that you see who does any of the previous, OK so this maybe slightly overstated but that was pretty much what I got from her, she is a wonderful funny lady, and I must include a visit to her when I go to see my brother and his family, and we play jokes with each other, like one time when BBQing I made the smoke waft over into her apartment, she came out saw me, smiled and said payback is coming. The next morning I found a I luv veagans bumper sticker on my truck and it was signed.

AL

Quote:
Have you ever had raw milk? It's WONDERFUL! (Only the farm fresh stuff, of course!)

No I haven't don't think. My parents always get 1% milk because they said that the fat in whole milk is bad.
idunno.gif

I know there's a big contraversy about it, but you should definitely try it!
smile.png

Quote:
I don't think that's really true. Not sure why they'd need less space if they stopped laying if all else is the same.

I mean old, old hens.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom