What do we have here?? Easter egger hen or rooster?

seastar421

Chirping
Sep 17, 2012
I was supposed to have gotten 6 hens of specific breeds. So far 1 rooster has gone back and 1 started crowing this morning. Frustrating. Now one of these Easter Eggers is looking questionable to me. No crowing so far. What do y'all think? They are approx 24 to 26 weeks old lol trying to embed my pics having some trouble, hopefully you can see them in a few min.

Last edited:
I was supposed to have gotten 6 hens of specific breeds. So far 1 rooster has gone back and 1 started crowing this morning. Frustrating. Now one of these Easter Eggers is looking questionable to me. No crowing so far. What do y'all think? They are approx 24 to 26 weeks old lol trying to embed my pics having some trouble, hopefully you can see them in a few min.

Hi! First, I would like to say you have some beautiful EE's!!

So, a few weeks back, I picked up 2 EE's that I was told were Golden laced and silver laced wyandottes. We were also told they were pullets.Silly me didn't know any better! But, I soon found out that I had 2 beautiful EE's. One was a silver, white, and black. The other was a mixture of browns, tans, and little red here and there. At about 10-11 weeks, our sweet little "Elsa" which was the silver, white, and black stood up real tall and let out a crow!! I about died! We found a great farm that took our little boy and we still have our sweet Ana.

After a little help from some nice people on here and some research, the EE's that tend to be white, silver, and black are usually cockerels. The more brownish colored tend to be pullets. Doesn't mean that it's 100% either. It's hard to tell by their pea combs too. I would look through the EE thread on BYC. It has a lot of good info on their genders and which colors tend to be girls and boys. Hope this helps!

Thank you! They are good, healthy birds. I wish I could keep a rooster but my neighbors would be less than appreciative haha. Thank you for sharing and for the info! So much to learn!!
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom