What do y'all do with older hens?

I got my Hens as pets in the first place. The eggs I get -which are very specific -are a delightful bonus. Having watched them grow, develop a personality and for them to respond to me I could no more fly to the moon than 'process' them. I assume that means dispatching them. What is an outbreak of MG? I'm vegetarian by the way, but that's purely my choice, but chickens are such sweet little characters - it's a shame to treat them as a commodity. I would gladly take on older birdies as pets. Wouldn't schools take them in your area or petting zoos? I hope you find a solution
I agree 100% with your great thoughts.

That is a great idea. @JoCoKS please post your location. I would give you two of my hens in an instant!
I want to thank you very much but I am afraid to put my address on any web site with all the crazy things people are doing to every one and any one these days. If I was not I would put my address here ASAP because I am really hurting not only because of the loss of my very lovable girls but from pain I my doctors have been trying to get control of for 4 years that does not let me get a good nights sleep and makes my days miserable. I have a really difficult time thinking I was driving for 50 years when I got rear ended without a traffic ticket and driving 4 years since the drunk destroyed me without a ticket. My Austrian father told me if I got a ticket for speeding he would tear up my driver's license and I have never done that. Being a clown like him and to make him happy I promised I would never drive faster then the car would go and I never broke that promise.

All of girls, including our rooster Ben are our feathered children. Over the years we have shared joy as well as sorrow. Some have come into the house when ill for a little staycation with us until they were able to return to their flock. They bring our family so much joy. Our oldest gals are over 6 years of age. Our buff orpingtons are laying anywhere from 2 to 3 eggs a week. Our Welsummers stopped laying last year. Our little ladies are enjoying their retirement years with us and look forward to their blueberry and butternut squash treats.

I feel that when you take an animal into your care it’s for their life not just until it becomes inconvenient
I do so agree with you. I have adopted four dogs -one has a third degree heart murmur. She was used for breeding and is broken, but we love her and fortunately can afford her medication. I will keep them all for their lives. Similarly with my little hens. I love them and enjoy playing with them in their secure aviary. We have a night-time routine where they get treats before they go to bed and each one gets a kiss on the head. I'm so relieved that they are safe after reading some of the problems you all have out in the real country. I live by the sea in a small village so I have neighbours all around me but it's peaceful for my birds and animals.

I want to thank you very much but I am afraid to put my address on any web site with all the crazy things people are doing to every one and any one these days. If I was not I would put my address here ASAP b
You don't have to post an address, just your state or nearest major city. There are BYC members all over the country who I'm sure would be happy to help you, since lots of people downsize their flocks just before winter. You can update your profile with location (image provided by @aart). But if you want to stay private that is understandable too

upload_2019-10-6_8-19-57-png.1927038

You don't have to post an address, just your state or nearest major city. There are BYC members all over the country who I'm sure would be happy to help you, since lots of people downsize their flocks just before winter. You can update your profile with location (image provided by @aart). But if you want to stay private that is understandable too

upload_2019-10-6_8-19-57-png.1927038

100% agree!
Just having a general idea where folks are helps get good answers to lots of questions.

Mine is pretty vague stating "northern colorado" and not even giving a city.

I had my Rhode Island Reds (2) stolen after I had a tree trimmed in my backyard that was not visible from the street by some illegals. For 3.5 years I never lost a hen to anything not even decease. I was almost killed by a drunk with a suspended license for drunken driving 4 years ago and my girls were my "comfort pets" since I am still recovering from being rear ended after 7 surgeries with a pump in my back to help care for pain. Before the accident I had perfect health but not now, my father was in much better shape at 90 then I am at 70 years old. They brought me a lot of happiness and it was so much fun caring for them since my #1 hen was a real character nipping the back of my slacks when she wanted more meal worms and squatting down to let me know she wanted me to pick her up and spend time with her. They were suppose to not lay as much because of their age but that did not stop them from laying like young hens. It is hard enough to loss them to a predator animal but it is extremely hard to think they became so human garage's dinner. My wife of 42 years does not know what to do since she can see I am getting very depressed. I planned on keeping my girls healthy and happy as long as they lived so this has really brought me down big time. I have looked locally to see if any one is selling hens (they probably never be like my girls) and could not find any which is probably best since the drunk left us with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills so we really have no money to buy chickens. Feeding was not a problem see they got stuff from our garden, remains from diner, etc. along with their feed they really did not eat much of. To add to my stress and my wife's stress she may have breast cancer (we will find out next week) and we both enjoyed my girls for all the joy they brought us. My wife would make spaghetti for them and make special treats and got a go laugh watching them chase after me or come running when they saw me and it is now all over because the tree trimmer brought a bunch of people with him and they stole my chickens by lifting up the roof of their coop and grabbing them. I feel sick all over, all this is way too much for me to handle.
That is terrible. I'm so sorry! :hugs

This has been a great thread to read. Thanks to the OP for bringing up the subject. It is a dilemma for me. We have had to process a couple roosters and honestly I didn't like eating them much. But, I also wont buy chicken to eat from Foster Farms or any other large production farms. I look for local pasture raised chicken. I wish I could be smart about it and keep a rotating flock and supply our own chicken dinner, but I do get attached to the girls. We've only had chickens for 4 years, so I haven't really been faced with the choice until now. I have one hen left from my original flock, Lucy. She doesn't lay eggs anymore, but I'm definitely too attached to her to cull her in any way. I have been greeting my flock using her name every morning for 4 years. "Hello girls! Hi Lucy!" Or just "Lucy!" :love

Good for you. You will reap rewards for your generosity

Thanks. Although for me I don’t believe letting the older girls stay is being generous. Like I mentioned in my post all our birds have been raised here since they were babies and since I made the decision to bring them here and raise them, I feel they deserve to stay here and live out their lives around people/other animals and places that are familiar to them. My oldest hen is a beautiful French Maran named Merica. She has slowed down a lot and ever since her best friend Betty (passed this year from old age) left the flock, she just isn’t as active as she was. She has always been the alpha hen and is well respected in our flock. She has always looked after all the other hens and has saved them from hawk attacks. Anyways thanks for the nice compliment. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom