What do y'all do with older hens?

Pics
Weird to see people think of chickens who have stopped laying due to natural causes "free loaders": your eggs don't come from a machine, they come from a breathing, living animal who at the very least deserve some modicum of respect. Stagger your hatches as you need them & you will have less of a problem of having to feed a ton of older birds.
I give my chickens and ducks the best life I can. They have five acres to roam. They spend their days chasing bugs, scratching grass, dust bathing, or just sleeping in the the shade of a tree. They always have food and clean water. They get treats. They are protected from the elements and predators. I care about my birds. Some have earned a lifelong spot but most will not. When their time is done they get a quick death and their flesh nourishes my family. The birds are livestock to me but that doesn't mean I don't see them as living beings. I have a huge amount of appreciation for what they have given me and my family.

My chickens aren't pets but that doesn't mean I don't care about all of them. I do my best to give them a good life as long as they are here. But I'm not made of money and I don't have unlimited space so I'm not going to keep free loaders. I've sold some older hens and I've processed a few. The best stock I've ever made was from an older hen. Some have earned a place for life as they have proven to be fantastic broodies and that is valuable to me. I do what works best for me and my flock.

Keep them in the flock. What else would you do??? Killing them cuz they stopped laying is evil...

THAT is a matter of opinion.
Some would say that waiting for them to get sick and die is evil.

For me and mine....I process older hens.
I have had a few birds I would consider young get sick (reproductive disorders). There needs to always be a "what if" plan for ending a suffering.

I know all you chicken addicts want to get new chickens every year. This becomes a problem later on because you will still have some of your older hens that have stopped laying.

I want to know what y'all do in this case. Do you process older hens? what do you do if you get attached?
"I will hug them and love them and squeeze them and call them George!"

Back
Top Bottom