What do yall plant around the coop?

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
My coop is kinda looking bear. I was wodering if anyone of yall plant a small garden around the coop.
Pictures are a plus!

CityChook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
I have some hydrangeas on the south side of my coop. It's about the only thing that they haven't eaten/trampled in my backyard. Oh, and they usually leave the herbs alone. Gardens will become the chicken buffet, so as long as you're okay with that....

bluie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 18, 2007
I have a lilac on the end of the run. Last year I put some coleus in a pot next to the coop. They ate it.

Roosteroops

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Cary, NC
I have Illiagnis (I'm sure that is the wrong spelling) - it is a light green, waxy leaved, invasive, evergreen bush. The flowers in the fall smell wonderful and bring honey bees. I've never had a chicken eat it or bother it - they have laid eggs under it though. They also don't eat our boxwood. Just don't plant anything tender!

Matt A NC

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Morganton, NC
I have dwarf black cherries down the side of the standard layers' Lot. The trees only get about 4' tall. The ladies pick the cherries they can reach, but I get those that are higher up.

When first planted I had to encircle the bases with wire to keep them from digging in the fresh dirt where I planted the trees.

Matt

mistylady

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Ohio near Coshocton
We planted two mulberry trees on one side (still little though), two rose bushes in front of the coop just to be pretty and I planted a lilac on the south side two days ago. I have plans to enlarge the run so I didn't plant on the west end.

GaDawg

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
North GA
Roosteroops It's spelled Eliagnus and is a great boarder bush. One of my favorite because when it blooms you can smell it's fragrance across the yard.

Top Bottom