What do yall plant around the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SarahFair, Mar 20, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My coop is kinda looking bear. I was wodering if anyone of yall plant a small garden around the coop.
    Pictures are a plus! [​IMG]

2. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I have some hydrangeas on the south side of my coop. It's about the only thing that they haven't eaten/trampled in my backyard. Oh, and they usually leave the herbs alone. Gardens will become the chicken buffet, so as long as you're okay with that....

3. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I have a lilac on the end of the run. Last year I put some coleus in a pot next to the coop. They ate it.

4. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    I have Illiagnis (I'm sure that is the wrong spelling) - it is a light green, waxy leaved, invasive, evergreen bush. The flowers in the fall smell wonderful and bring honey bees. I've never had a chicken eat it or bother it - they have laid eggs under it though. They also don't eat our boxwood. Just don't plant anything tender!

5. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I am putting a potato patch on the west side of my coop for blue potatos.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have dwarf black cherries down the side of the standard layers' Lot. The trees only get about 4' tall. The ladies pick the cherries they can reach, but I get those that are higher up.

When first planted I had to encircle the bases with wire to keep them from digging in the fresh dirt where I planted the trees.

Matt

7. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    We planted two mulberry trees on one side (still little though), two rose bushes in front of the coop just to be pretty and I planted a lilac on the south side two days ago. I have plans to enlarge the run so I didn't plant on the west end.

8. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    I planted some wild back berries outside of the pen today. My coop and run are inside of the pen. Anything I plant inside would be eaten by my goats.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  9. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    Roosteroops It's spelled Eliagnus and is a great boarder bush. One of my favorite because when it blooms you can smell it's fragrance across the yard.

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Nothing, because my hens will eat me if I was green [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by