What do y'all think??

Doll Maker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
NW Arkansas
We added a new bird to our small flock a couple of months ago. It is a Barred Rock Cross of some kind I think. I thought that it might be a baby roo (we were hoping for a pullet). The chook is about the age to start laying, but I really didn't think it was a pullet. Yesterday my hubby gathered eggs and came in with the tiniest little egg I have ever seen..a whopping .5 ounce!!
Does this look like a pullets first try to you all??
20708_the_long_and_short_of_it_october_5_2009.jpg

We did have another small one when our youngsters begin to lay early this year and the ONLY baby in the bunch is the new kid in the chicken yard. Do grown hens sometimes lay tiny eggs too?

ep.gif

Kaye

I think it could be either but I'll bet it has no yolk. Post a pic of the young bird if you can so that the experts can take a look. How old is the bird?

First of all, I misspoke. I do believe this bird is a Doninique Cross of some sort. Here he (or she) is. No crowing as yet, but I swear I've caught "it" chasing after the hens. Hmm, Age I'm guessing but I think probably about 14-16 weeks of age. Here is the bird in question:
20708_dominique_cross_1.jpg

What say you experts, I think it's a young roo.
hmm.png
Kaye

Quote:
I bet it has no yolk and is a fairy egg. We got our first one yesterday. I like to call them fairy eggs, but some people also call them wind or fart eggs. Can you guess what name my 9-year old son prefers? It will be the talk of the 4th grade class today I'm sure.
roll.png

That one's not laying any eggs
big_smile.png

I have so many roos that don't crow-more that don't than do even though they are all fully mature...they know who the King is out there and don't bother to challenge that.

Back
Top Bottom