What do y'all think??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Doll Maker, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Doll Maker

Doll Maker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    We added a new bird to our small flock a couple of months ago. It is a Barred Rock Cross of some kind I think. I thought that it might be a baby roo (we were hoping for a pullet). The chook is about the age to start laying, but I really didn't think it was a pullet. Yesterday my hubby gathered eggs and came in with the tiniest little egg I have ever seen..a whopping .5 ounce!!
    Does this look like a pullets first try to you all??
    [​IMG]

We did have another small one when our youngsters begin to lay early this year and the ONLY baby in the bunch is the new kid in the chicken yard. Do grown hens sometimes lay tiny eggs too?

[​IMG]
    Kaye

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Could be the baby's first try...but I know I have had little fart/fairy eggs from our adults too once in a great while.

So...don't know what to tell you lol

but grats!!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks like my BR eggs.

If you post a picture of the BR, people here can tell you if it's a pullet or not.

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I think it could be either but I'll bet it has no yolk. Post a pic of the young bird if you can so that the experts can take a look. How old is the bird?

5. Doll Maker

Doll Maker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    First of all, I misspoke. I do believe this bird is a Doninique Cross of some sort. Here he (or she) is. No crowing as yet, but I swear I've caught "it" chasing after the hens. Hmm, Age I'm guessing but I think probably about 14-16 weeks of age. Here is the bird in question:
    [​IMG]
    What say you experts, I think it's a young roo.
    [​IMG] Kaye

6. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I think that's a roo!

7. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Tail looks roo-ish to me.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    100% rooster.

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I bet it has no yolk and is a fairy egg. We got our first one yesterday. I like to call them fairy eggs, but some people also call them wind or fart eggs. Can you guess what name my 9-year old son prefers? It will be the talk of the 4th grade class today I'm sure. [​IMG]

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    That one's not laying any eggs [​IMG]
    I have so many roos that don't crow-more that don't than do even though they are all fully mature...they know who the King is out there and don't bother to challenge that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by