What do y'all use to cover your run/pen?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Southern28Chick, May 7, 2007.

  1. Southern28Chick

    Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

    Apr 16, 2007
    I have a 40'x50'x6' chain linked "chicken yard". I have a hen house in the yard but I want to cover the yard to protect my birds from the millions of hawks we have around. What do y'all use and how do you secure it?

    Here's the yard:
  2. nikkimay

    nikkimay In the Brooder

    Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Hardware cloth or something like it would be the most secure, but to cover that space, it would be expensive and awkward. I would use some kind of avian netting, secured to the edges with zip ties.......

    Someone else may come up with a more brilliant idea though!
  3. hencackle

    hencackle Songster

    Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Since you have a problem with hawks, the Toprite netting is a strong net. It isn't cheap. I've provided a link that shows a good picture of the net so you can see how it is constructed. More than likely you will have to special order this because I've never seen it at feed stores in my area.

    You can order this from www. cutlersupply.com. To see a close-up of the netting, go to http://www.mypetchicken.com/Runs___Netting-1__Top_Flight_Netting__25__x_50_-P209.aspx
  4. Southern28Chick

    Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

    Apr 16, 2007
    Thanks for the link. I actually just found some toprite netting 50'x50' for only $130 on eBay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: