what do you all do with the roos

SisterFlash

Songster
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
SW Mountains New Mexico
Ok hatching some chicks looks very rewarding.

But what do you do with all the extra roos? I know with special breeds there is probably a way to sell them but what do you do with them if you do not want to put them in your own soup pot.

thanks I am sure this has already been answered but could not find the past thread.

Barb
wink.png

Keep Them

Sell Them

Give Them Away

Eat Them

We keep them as long as we can, try to find homes for the nice ones,
and eat the "not so lucky" ones. Producing your own chicken
meat is a lot more humane than buying it, and better for you too.

What purple said...

Yes, you can keep a roo bachelor coop if you really like having them around. Of course, they don't give much but eye candy and eat a lot.

Jody

We have had trouble with them mating each other to death in the bachelor coop. We finally decided just to eat all of them... seemed like a more humane, dignified way to go.

I take them to a local poultry auction that they hold once a month. I know by doing that they're more than likely gonna be butchered, but I can't afford to feed them all.

I've given all of my extra roos to friends, for free with their agreement that they are killed humanely. I can't kill anything myself, nor eat something I've raised and fed from chick to adult. So off they go. They are "put to sleep" with ether before being killed. So it's not a bad way for them to go. And I can't keep extra roos here, too much crowing - 2 big roos and 2 banty roos are enough.

molly

It probably depends on the breed. Some are in more demand than others. Go to the auction in the late spring or early summer when the supply of roos is low. In the fall there is usually a glut of cockerels from the spring crop.

Back
Top Bottom